Crazy Idea.....

FirstRealBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was looking up some stuff online and found a Jet Jon boat......Not that is interesting!

Well, I have a 1996 Polaris SLX 780, 90+HP motor......This got me thinking, Hummm wonder if I could do this.

Has anyone on here done this? Been around on? There are several cheap 14'-16' semi-V's and jon boats for sale locally. How much work is involved with doing this, seems like a fun winter project and could be useful also...A 16' boat with 90 HP, that seem kind of crazy, fun and dangerous all rolled into one!

Thoughts? Pictures and concerns please!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Never Mind, you are wanting to put a Jet Ski motor set up into a real boat?

Last edited:

FirstRealBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guess I should of read this post before submitting it.....wow, sounds all broken. For some reason I can't edit my post to make it sound and be spelled correctly...Oh well

Yes, I want to put a Jet Ski motor in a real boat.

FirstRealBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IMHO it's a real good way to ruin both a jet ski and a boat.

The Jet Ski needs a LOT of work. Motor seems good, but hull of ski is in bad shape. I can't seem to justify $500 for a single use Jet Ski. But in my mind I can justify a $500 for a boat that can be used for fun and fishing. If anything, just a conversation piece if it doesn't sink....haha.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
This is America,you can attempt do whatever you want. If you win,,good. If you fail,try again.........

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
You can do anything you want if you throw cubic money at it. It actually sounds like an interesting project. You will end up with a boat that is capable of around 50 MPH. You don't need a special jet ski license because it is a boat.

Sounds like a lot of time invested--first cutting bottom and transom to fit the jet and engine, reinforcing the boat to safely handle the package, Fitting the engine and jet to the boat, fitting controls etc. If you decide to do it post over in the restoration and building forum. See you in 3-5 years.

Last edited:

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you are comfortable with the potential $ outlay and the fact it all could end up in the landfill, then go for it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I seen several projects like this online, a successful outcome depends on your skills.

Some worked well, others not so much.

Ned L

Commander
About 4-5 yrs ago there was a write-up in Woodenboat Magazine about a beautiful custom built Novi style 28 footer powered by a jet ski engine. The whole setup turned out beautifully.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
It can be done but it depends on you and how motivated you are. If you have a bunch of unfinished projects around the place then one more can't hurt. :heh:

FirstRealBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You can do anything you want if you throw cubic money at it. It actually sounds like an interesting project. You will end up with a boat that is capable of around 50 MPH. You don't need a special jet ski license because it is a boat.

Sounds like a lot of time invested--first cutting bottom and transom to fit the jet and engine, reinforcing the boat to safely handle the package, Fitting the engine and jet to the boat, fitting controls etc. If you decide to do it post over in the restoration and building forum. See you in 3-5 years.

I don't know if I have the skill, never done it. I however an willing to learn just about anything. I really hope it doesn't take 3.5 years, after all I am semi-retired, so I do have loads of time on my hands for projects. The largest project being this darn house we bought! Now that's a 20 year project.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Oh, I hear you. And, you and I both know that the house takes precedence over everything else. I am retired and remarried after my first wife passed away. Of course, the second needed everything remodeled so now after 5 years I am still in the middle of remodeling the house.---I have a Glastron GT 150 sitting upside down in the side yard waiting to be restored. Probably never going to happen. LOL

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Right there with ya guys, I have been working on our house for over 15 years now, so long that some of the things I did 10 years ago, she now wants changed again!

:eek:

ziggy

Admiral
look up your project idea on you tube. i seen several different jon boats with jetski engines in them. most seem to work. some even have start to finish you tubes... happy boating.

Dekker500

Seaman
Ah, the power of Google :) Here are some nice pics and vids of others who took your idea and ran (swam?) with it.

And yes, there is even a video of someone with a jon boat and jet ski motor... it planes!

Last edited: