Help fastening a westland cover..

jbuszkie

Cadet
I have a 2005 regal 1800 that didn't have a mooring cover. So I bought a westland sunbrella cover to use a mooring cover.

This thing is a pain in the butt to get it on. It's usually pretty breezey and I have a hard time to get it in place and tighten in the back before the wind tosses it around. Now my old boat had a snap on cover. That was a piece of cake. This one is secured with a built in rope that goes under the rub rail.

Now I want to be able to put this thing on and off without getting into the water! It looks near impossible. So I'm looking for way to hold it in place
while I put it on.

I was thinking of two things. Either snaps or heavy duty velcro (the 3m dual lock kind)

With the velcro my though would be to put some clear strips just under the rub rail and then a corresponding strip on the cover.

Or alternatively I would put the snap studs maybe above the rub rail and on the corresponding spots on the cover.

What would be your opinion on this? I'm not sure I want to put hole in the boat for the screw for the snaps... but I also am not sure I want to put the velcro on the boat either!

And is this the correct forum for this question? I didn't see a forum about covers!

Thanks,

Jim

oldjeep

Admiral
Add a strap to the front that you can fasten to the bow loop and 2 in the back for the transom loops. That is how the better covers are setup. That way you can walk it back, and deal with the rope/strap without the cover blowing off. I have 0 issues putting mine on kik that.