trim goes down up only 1/2 way back up

Hello everyone, first post here, I have a 1997 chaparral 2130 inboard 350/5.7 Liter. This boat has been sitting most of it's life. It has 204 hrs on the engine and the risers have been changed out once for preventive maintenance. Here's the problem. The trim will go all the way down but when I use the up handle button it only go approx 1/2 up and stops. I replaced both solenoids. Now here's the weird part. I can take the blue and green wires from the trim and switch them. Once I do this I use the down button on the handle and the trim will go all the way up. If I use the up button it will go again on about 1/2 down. I switch them back to normal and the trim goes all the way down but again only 1/2 up. I have a manual but I'm not good with electrical issues, at least thats what I think it is. Thanks,

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Yer hittin' the trim limit switch,....

Ya oughta have a another button for Tilt, or push harder on the Up button, as there may be a detent, that'll allow Tilt to work that way,...

Bondo, Thanks for the advice I never noticed the black button for tilt, I just pushed it and the trim went all the way up. I'm confused it works using that but on 1/2 way on the push button handle, can this be easily fixed?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The trim is working as it is supposed to. The toggle switch will raise the outdrive a set amount. That is the trim range, and it is adjustable. The tilt button is intended to raise it all the way.

The trim limit switch adjustment is likely on the tilt pin on the outdrive. A phillips screw or two need to be loosened and the black plastic know turned to adjust.

So Mr. Chris your saying when I'm on my way and want to trim up it will only let me go to a pre determined range on my shifter lever? But it seems still low. Is that normal on a chaparral. Also can I use the black button to trim up higher if I need to while underway

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
is this an alpha drive or bravo one bravo 2 or bravo 3? there is a set measurement from center to center on the trim rams. you set the trim limit to a specified height to prevent damage to the u-joints,an d gimble bearings. Cant remember the measurements off hand,but in the stickys at the top of this forum should have them.

Bondo

Staff member
So Mr. Chris your saying when I'm on my way and want to trim up it will only let me go to a pre determined range on my shifter lever? But it seems still low. Is that normal on a chaparral. Also can I use the black button to trim up higher if I need to while underway

Ayuh,..... The trim limit is to protect the u-joints,..... they come apart at extreme angles, 'n higher rpms,.....

Generally speakin', the prop will blow out, long before ya hit the trim limit,....

UncleWillie

Captain
Full UP Trim will only extend the Hydraulic cylinder about 3 inches.
Unless you have a ton of weight in the bow, you will never be able to use all of it.

Next time you are on the water, give it full UP while stopped, and then try to get the boat moving.
You will stand on your tail and go nowhere fast!
Giving it Full UP while on plane, will cause the prop to beak the surface, and over Rev the engine. Be careful if you try it.