79 evinrude 140 trim up but not down, but it does make noise when trying to go down?

Spanish#007

Cadet
After research I thought it might be the relay but I'm not sure where it's at. This is a 1979 evinrude 140 on a 1978 fiberglass Lund. It has the trim motor and pump under the outboard, motor on left side and pump on right and I was messing with it yesterday, I added some hydraulic jack fluid while testing because it was cheap, I hope that doesn't have anything to do with it...keep in mind it wouldn't go down before I added the fluid so I don't think that is the cause....I couldn't find the manual release anywhere so I just unscrewed the hydraulic line on the bottom and it came down slow, after doing this a bunch of times trying to bleed it would go down about an inch after going up but then stop, my 300 lb buddy would sit on it and it would go down but not without him on it?? UP works down doesn't. I put it in the water last night and tried to lower it under throttle to no avail? Any ideas? If it is the relays anybody know where they are at on this model? trying to get her going for the 4th. The only reason I wasn't sure if it was the relay is because it is making noise going down and up. I think I will change the fluid as well as it is louder now than it was before. I tried to open the fill hole and move it up and down to bleed it and it didn't work then I took out a plug on the bottom on of the motor section, it was hard to get at I then moved it up and down and a bunch of fluid squirted out of that hole and it seems to have gotten little louder, but I think this is because the new hydraulic jack fluid got to the pump and it changed because of the consistency, almost like there wasn't as much resistance....normally I let off trim button and it noise stops immediately, this sounded like maybe something kept spinning for just barely a second after....also on the hole in bottom of the motor section some weird brass metal pcs came out with the plug and I just put them back in I think the way they were but I'm not certain I did it right, I was wondering if one was maybe some kind of metal check valve or something, I'm not sure what these do? Any ideas for me? Is there a screw for manual release on this trim? Thx in advance for any help!!! I can answer any other questions you have that might help to solve this. THX!!

Edit, so after more research it looks like there is just a solenoid not relays on mine, power runs thru relay for up and direct for down. I found a thread where several people with same motors having same issue but no answer was every given. Plz help if you can. Thx

Last edited:

fhhuber

Lieutenant
First... you need to drain ALL of the fluid and replace it with the right stuff. Mixing random hydraulic fluids is a bad idea.

sounding to me like something is put together wrong. without hearing and seeing the thing to be sure I am understanding the descriptions correctly I'd say you are correct that the brass bits you kind of randomly put back in will be the problem.

Spanish#007

Cadet
First... you need to drain ALL of the fluid and replace it with the right stuff. Mixing random hydraulic fluids is a bad idea.

sounding to me like something is put together wrong. without hearing and seeing the thing to be sure I am understanding the descriptions correctly I'd say you are correct that the brass bits you kind of randomly put back in will be the problem.

I would normally agree with you, but it was already broken before I changed the fluid or brass pc and I'm pretty sure I put it back in correctly. It goes up just not down. I'm going to get some OMC trim fluid and I found where I think the manual release will be so I will try to open it and bleed it. I think it's solenoid, but I can't say for sure. Thx for reply