How do you mount a primer bulb vertically??

LTLWILLIE

Cadet
Seems like an obvious answer, however with my configuration i just don't know how i would do it.

So a bit of background. Previous owner gave me some round about story on why he wasn't using the internal gas tank anymore. Said that because he shore docked his boat, water would splash into the vent on the backend by the motor and get into the tank. So after dealing a season with external tanks in the back storage area i was determined to get the internal one working. So after hooking all the obvious lines back up, i found that the out fitting on top of the tank (which is not visible, had to cut hole under seat to get to it) was corroded off. So i got a new fitting and hooked it all back up.

When i went to prime the primer bulb, i wasn't getting any fuel coming out of the outlet end of the bulb. Only way i could get it to come out was to hold my finger over the outlet end and start pumping...then it would get fuel. Hooked it up to the motor...no fuel. So i was thinking the bulb was bad. Did some reading and everyone talked about mounting the bulb vertical. So i tried it this morning before leaving for work, disconnected from the motor, held the bulb vertical (arrow pointing up) and gave it a few squeezes and sure enough i got fuel. So i'm not sure if i have a crappy bulb or if this is just the way it is. Seems like i've always seen them laying on the floor or what not and they worked just fine.

Anywayyyyyy....if i need to mount vertical i just don't know how that would be possible with my boat configuration. Where the fuel line comes out of the stern is about 3-4" below where the fuel line goes into the Evinrude 150. Even if i ran the line tight and straight to that point, it's angled at 10deg at most. Only way i could get the bulb vertical would be longer fuel line and let it dip into the water so the bulb would get more vertical.

Any ideas? I can take a pic if that helps get the creative juices flowing!

LTLWILLIE

Cadet
This is not my boat, but it shows where the fuel line comes out of the boat. Only difference is that the inlet for my motor is on the opposite side as this one is.

Attachments

• 318915-500x375.jpg
    318915-500x375.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1

oldjeep

Admiral
On my dads pontoon we just have an extra long fuel line and have it zip tied to the upper rail. Makes it easier to reach and it is vertical

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
No reason whatsoever to "mount" the bulb vertically. Mine actually lays flat on the floor.

The bulb only needs to be held vertically when pumping to allow the one-way valve to operate. Once primed, it could hang upside down for all it matters.

Last edited:

LTLWILLIE

Cadet
Good to know. Here i thought i had a bad bulb with the way i had to use my finger.

LTLWILLIE

Cadet
Guess you guys were right. Held the bulb vertical, pumped it till gas came out and then connected it to the motor. gave it another squeeze or two and haven't had to touch it since!! Thanks for the help.