92 Crownline 196 BR bow seat rebuild (backrest panel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansen71

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1992 Crownline 196 BR in pretty good shape. It?s my first boat ever and so it?s been a bit of a learning experience but so far it?s been great. Mechanically the boat runs well (with a minor repairs and maintenance) and cosmetically it looks good as well with the exception of the backrest panel on the starboard side of the bow. It appears that a cover may have leaked and destroyed the wood support for this panel so it needs rebuilding. I'm fairly handy and I think I can handle it but I?m hoping that someone may have been down this road already and be able to give me some guidance.

How to access the fasteners for these panels? Through the storage opening under the seats I?m guessing?
Anyone have any plans / measurements if they?ve done this already?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Have the exact same boat and the exact same problem, except for me both sides are rotted away. I have researched it but never actually got to it. There are screws and bolts and you do get from them through the storage compartment, I have at least turned on my head and crawled in there to take a look.

No measurements but take a look at this video on youtube. I believe his method is sound and the route I was going to go if I ever got to the project.

I sure hope you don't run into the rotten floor and stringers like I had!

jhansen71

Recruit
Have the exact same boat and the exact same problem, except for me both sides are rotted away. I have researched it but never actually got to it. There are screws and bolts and you do get from them through the storage compartment, I have at least turned on my head and crawled in there to take a look.

No measurements but take a look at this video on youtube. I believe his method is sound and the route I was going to go if I ever got to the project.

Thank you for the information and the video. Floor is a little soft in a few spots but not so much that I am looking to put in a new floor. To big of a job for me.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you for the information and the video. Floor is a little soft in a few spots but not so much that I am looking to put in a new floor. To big of a job for me.

Let us know how it goes if you tackle the seats (pictures please).

Just keep an eye on the transom for rot, that one is a safety issue. My floors and stringers were gone in the back half but the transom was fair. It'll rot away eventually. Check for flex on the drive and if you see cracks forming around the drive it's time to put her out to pasture.

rdenton3rd

Recruit

Do you still have the video? Trying to do the same thing on my boat on the passages side been thinking hard about it and can’t fined anything to help with the bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.