Idle thoughts...Should I get a new boat?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Have had my Glastron going on 7 seasons now, and am thinking about getting something new(er). The 3.7l has been great (for the most part, for a 30 year old boat), but at some point will need a rebuild I guess. Bigger concern is the interior. There are a few soft spots on the floor, and I don't really want to find out if it's more than that. The seats are tired. I was planning on replacing the floor, and reconfiguring the interior. That was 3 years ago. Realistically, I don't think I have time to do it myself. Usually, there are some issues at the beginning of every season, but it has run trouble free (mostly so) after that. I know that I've maintained it, and I know the engine well. I figure 4-5k will get this thing in great shape, but don't know if it's worth the effort. Time is more of an issue than money. I'd like to spend in the 6-7k range for a new boat. Looking for about the same size (19'), with a FI 4.3L mercruiser. Not sure when they started making these, or what year I should be looking at, or if that's a reasonable price. Also concerned that I'm still probably going to be dealing with something 10-15 years old, and now I have someone else's problem. Probably will look at the end of the season/fall/winter.

Pony

Rear Admiral
I have seen at least 2 or 3 19ft Glastrons with 4.3 Mercruisers on Craigslist here and all of them in the 5 to 7k range were early 90's....that is here though so that could be different and I don't know that market too well. They could be over priced for all I know.

If it were me, I wouldn't upgrade unless it was significantly newer otherwise I would feel like I am just buying the same problems a year or two down the road plus the uncertainty of how the previous owner maintained the motor. That's just me though....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I agree - I'd spend the money fixing what you (will) know is wrong with the floor/stringers and you won't be buying an unknown and in that price range the odds are against you. Can happen, but hard to find.

I've spent way too much money on the free boat below, but just had the transom replace and the motor stringers, getting new risers/manifolds as I type this - all else is good so other than the block I've got essentially a new boat that is 30 years old. Check out the price on a new 26' cabin cruiser and i'm in for a fifth of that.

BTW I know its only a 23' but its old school new boats this size are 25' and 26'.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Yeah. Problem is, I've been meaning to do the interior for 3 years now. I'm keeping my eyes out for a spare engine that I can rebuild in the off-season. I'm afraid to pay someone to do the floor because who knows if they'd do it right. I can always just keep a lookout for what I'm looking for, and if it comes along, great. My current boat actually otherwise serves me well, and since the interior doesn't HAVE to get done, it doesn't. Most of the stuff I see for sale is 3.0L, which wouldn't be enough power for skiing. However, this coming winter is also the 5th year that I'm going to redo the basement, the 6th year that I'm doing the yard over, etc...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ask around on the glass repair. I found one in the middle off nowhere here in TN that is highly recommended by my mechanic and been in business 22 years. Don't stay around that long doing crappy work.

hostage

Lieutenant
In 2010 I bought a 2000 Maxum 19ft cuddy w/ a 4.3L Merc, and snap-in carpet. For $7,200

A friend of mine is buying a 1999 Maxum 19ft Open bow w/ a 4.3L Merc and snap-in carpet for $6,200.

If you spend long and hard time looking, there are deals to be made. I really enjoy the hunt. Both boats required a couple of hundred in vinyl work to make it look nice, though I think both could easily be sold for $8k+, after all the esthetic things are fixed. I think you will never get that money out of the boat that you put in, I would opt to sell it, while letting the buyer know about the problems. As you don't have time, you can't save on labor. Yeah there is always a chance you can buy someone elses problems. though research and prepreation can really reduce that from happening. Selling the boat, plus the money you sunk into it could buy you a newer and better boat. Also note boats that are 1996 and later generally have about 15hp more than their earlier versions. When I started looking for a boat in 2010, I was looking at around $4,000 boats. They were early 90's 4.3L open bows and cuddys.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Can anyone point me to a link explaining the various FI systems in mercs, and the years they are found?

Suprathepeg

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd get someone to do the floor/stringers. Rebuild the engine in your boat in the off season and basically have a new boat. You will be hard pressed to find something better for theoney you have. Look at friscoboater's story, nice much newer sea ray and he had to gut it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Can anyone point me to a link explaining the various FI systems in mercs, and the years they are found?

From what I understand there isn't a set rule for the year with MCs having say a throttle body this year, carb that year or MPI another year. They were options not the same as autos that have definate years where they started doing throttle body then MPI or direct injection. Since it varies from boat to boat you just have to find out which it has when you inquire on the boat.