Looking for an Expert in the Boston Mass area

mach1concorde

Recruit
I am looking for someone to help me with a few issues on my boat. Brief overview I have prop cavitation issues out of the hole not sure if the props are correct also at WOT tachs read 3800 RPMs . The boat is a Freedom Mach 1 Concorde 27' twin 350's . Those are the 2 big issues maybe there's a common solution. Thank you any help would be great.

tpenfield

Staff member
I agree that the props may be the issue. Can you tell us more about the props and if they are original or have been changed?

I live in the Boston area, will send you a PM.

tpenfield

Staff member
Just read your other posts . . . .

Given the age of the boat (and I assume engines) the issue could be loss of power or over propped, or boat weight gain. Mirage props are for big boats, and 23 pitch is a bit in the high side, but not too much.

I would do the following things:

Calculate prop slip at various speed and rpm levels. If you have the gear ratio of the outdrives and can record a few rpm and speed points along the way up to WOT, which is 3800 rpm and 44 mph, then you can calculate prop slip. I can do that for you if you like, just give me the data. If the prop slip results look OK, then . . .

Check throttle linkage for full travel and opening of secondaries . . If that is OK, then,

Do compression test and cylinder leak tests on both engines.

Cooling system pressure test.

If those thing look OK.

Go with or 19 or 20 pitch props to see how it performs. You could probably pick up a used prop on eBay and then re-sell them if they do not pan out.

If all that fails . . . List the boat on Craiglist (kidding). :)