New Owner Stratos 180 vt 150 Evinrude xp

motob3000

Recruit
Hello! I have been lurking and reading this forum while trying to sort out problems with my 180 vt Stratos. So, Thank you for all your comments and posts. They have been a lifesaver.

I bought this boat and it was supposed to be water ready... needless to say is isn't. Right now, I am having a problem with porpoising at about 25 mph. Its very violent and I must throttle down immediately. Ive been reading bad things about Stratos V tunnel design. The motor is solid and runs and starts very easily after replacing primer solenoid. I have a jack plate and 26p prop. The motor was cavatating initially so I lowered the motor on the jack plate and now Im porpoising at 20/25 mph its so violent I dont think I can throttle through it.

How do I check for soaked foam? Any good advice about recouping losses?? It sounds like from reading that even if I pulled all the foam out I could still have issues with porpoising because of the design of the hull. I dont want to go that fast, but it would be nice to cruise at 45 or 50mph. Doesn't sound like I bought the right kind of boat...Any comments or opinions are very welcome. My ears are open I would love to hear what you think. Thanks in advance, Ben

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Ben: A Stratos 18 with a 150HP should be able to hit 50. Porpoising at 25 is definitely funky ...

Can you post a photo of your motor on your boat? You'll need to make two more posts, but if we can see the motor from the side of the boat that might help a little.

I'm not a big fan of the bass boats, but they will run quite quickly and as long as the water is relatively smooth, I've seen 'em burning out over 60HP smooth as you like. 25 shouldn't be a problem in the least.

motob3000

Recruit
I will get some pics tomorrow am. I have some but not the correct angle. Are you familiar with the status 180vt..or tunnel vee?

southkogs

Staff member
Not particularly - except for havin' the tournament guys blast past me before weigh in on Saturdays :)

I understand the hulls in general, and the Stratos brand is still pretty popular where I am (they used to build them here in Murfreesboro).