2001 Four Winns Horizon 180LE 4.3 Volvo tops out at 43mph

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just test drove a boat I'm buying from family friends. Bought new by them, stored in lake all summer since new with covers, winter storage/all maintenance by the same marina.

It topped out at 43mph GPS at 5000rpm on cluster tachometer (speedo reading only 35mph, tilt/trim gauge not working). I maybe could have played with tilt trim more I suppose but felt I was trimmed up, now I don't care if it goes faster just want to make sure this isn't a sign of an issue. Started great, idled/ran fine no matter what. Some gel coat surface cracks/sun fade and the radio doesn't work but it's a good deal from my area and a known entity.

Unsure of prop but I'm assuming it would be stock.

Last thing is that at rest the boat was ever so slightly tilted to the right based on the waterline (I'll post pics later). And there was water visible in the ski locker - any signs of issue?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
sounds about right and propped for a full load of people and/or pulling skiers or tubes...

rpm's are a little high... back off throttle just a bit to control rpm or prop with a little more pitch and get a couple more mph at the cost of a slower hole shot.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That is about the top speed I got with my 18' SeaRay/4.3LX Mercruiser package.

Suprathepeg

Petty Officer 1st Class
By stored in the lake do you mean it spends all its time tied up in the water/

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Did you see any reason for the boat to be listing a little to starboard? (e.g., some gear piled up on the starboard side? An extra battery?)

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes is left in water all summer like most boats up here, I'll do the same as its 8' beam is the same width as my boat house. I didn't notice anything obvious to explain the listing, when I got in and ran the bilge water did come out as it had been raining, nothing came out when I did it again after 30 mins test, engine bay looked clean.

Just found a thread from an 1998 18' Horizon. "There is a well described problem with Horizons and other models listing starboard that has been attributed to the dual battery set up on the starboard, and very stern side. This apparently has been corrected on more recent models. My 2005 250 lists to the right annoyingly and I will one day break down and move the batts. Also there is an inverter there to add something. Now with only a single batt you can't blame it easily on that. Where is your gas tank? Where is the fresh water holding tank if it has one?"

Guess I should have investigated more,it's a pretty low risk sale since I know the people so well, said I can even take it and try it and bring it back if I don't want it lol. But at the same time if it's logged or rotten or something that's not good.

Last edited:

Suprathepeg

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm Leary of boats like this that sit in the water. Humidity in the air will condensate against the hull inside the foam because the water is always cooler than the ambient air temp. IMHO this is what causes a lot of water logging of foam and rotting of stringers. A lake boat that sits in a cradle out of the water inside a boat house on the other hand has a much better chance of being dry.

Just cause they're friends doesn't mean they know if the foam is soaked or if the stringers are good.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Supra, You do realize that stringers are waterproofed, and foam under the deck is as well? High humidity is not going to harm that part of a boat. It can cause rust and corrosion....

hostage

Lieutenant
My 19ft w/ 4.3L cuddy tops off at 46mph. That was on a flat lake, 2 adults and 1 kid in boat. If you want to break 50, you will need a 5.0L.

Suprathepeg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Supra, You do realize that stringers are waterproofed, and foam under the deck is as well? High humidity is not going to harm that part of a boat. It can cause rust and corrosion....

Define waterproofed. All foam will absorb water over time, especially the older marine foam. Fiberglass is gread but nothing is every 100%, especially over time. If that were the case there would be no healthy restoration section on the forum.

Alumarine

Captain
It looks like the gas cap is on the starboard side.
The could explain the slight list.

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It looks like the gas cap is on the starboard side.
The could explain the slight list.

Was just dropped off by the marina with a full tank of gas too for what it's worth (120 litres is that right?!).

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Gas tank is not on the starboard side, just the filler. I would not worry much about rot on that boat, but give it a good look. 43mph is about right for that boat, give or take a few mph.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Supra That boat will have closed cell foam. Closed cell foam will shed water, unless the water pools on it. So foam under the gunwales will not absorb water, as the water will run off. I do not think much water vapor will condensate on the foam anyway. Normally the foam is "glued" to the fiberglass, so no condensation there either.

The deck on that boat is waterproofed, and as such protects the foam and structural components under it. Fiberglass is quite water-resistant, and easily adequate for the intended purpose. I understand the gel coat can absorb water, but that water does not thru get the balance of the fiberglass and thru to the foam. I think your theory of high humidity rotting stringers and saturating foam is not sound.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Seems like you're underpropped. Guessing that that engine should be about 4500 rpm WOT. You could probably pick up a few mph. I would think that you should be able to at least match my top speed (19 ft, 3.7L, 49 mph)

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So a little update on this. I finally got a trailer sorted and picked up the boat yesterday. Got to the lake and it had been raining, carpet in boat wet so covers must not be water tight, ran the bilge and a good amount came out then stopped. Bilge looked dry. When the marina guy helped me retrieve the boat (where it has always been maintained and taken in/out) we were surprised by some keel damage to the gel coat - he said it shouldn't be a problem but repair in winter. Then we pulled the drain plug and a good amount came out - he seemed shocked when I told him I had run the bilge, and was pretty silent when I told him about how it listed at the dock and when I asked about the water from the plug, he looked at the bellows and said they looked fine. I don't think he wanted to ruin their deal for his client. Anyways I have some concerns about that water after the bilge is dry.

No money has exchanged hands yet, as I said the sellers have said to being it back if I don't want it.

Took it for a long run on my lake and it ran beautifully. 4 of us and the dog and it topped out at about 40mph at like 4300rpm maybe. Seems to get on plane nicely, no funny porpoising or anything.