180br

Rgpracer

Recruit
I cannot get my 180 to plane unless full throttle and then back off. The boat is sooooo sluggish from stop to on throttle that it is pathetic. It stands on the transom with the nose in the air waaaay to long and labors hard. I have a 19 pitch and a 21, neither does any good......help before I sell it.
Thanks
Ray

jbcurt00

Staff member
This isn't really a Crownline 180BR problem, lets move it over to another forum, where it might get more foot traffic. For now, boat topics.

Don't know a lot about Crownlines, so posting details of which motor/outdrive you're running will help. And that will determine what forum it's best suited for. Unless there's damage or water below decks, IMO, you've got an I/O problem rather then a Crownline problem.

For reference, what year 180BR?

Rgpracer

Recruit
This is a 99 180br.
Not sure why it wouldn't qualify as a crownline issue, not much left short of prop, motor runs good, is it boat hull design or prop choice?
I'm just not sure, thanks for putting this in proper area, apologize for ignorance.
Ray

jbcurt00

Staff member
I doubt its a Crownline issue because if it was, they wouldn't have made and sold thousands of them....

No ignorance, just a choice, and I thought it likely a motor/outdrive/prop problem IF there's no damage to the hull or water below decks.

Symptoms sound like water weight shifting aft....

180BR have trim tabs?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Is this boat new to you? Has it ever performed better, as far as you know?

Rgpracer

Recruit
Thanks for all the replies, the boat is new to me, no hull problems, no motor problems, it has always done this, never got up like I feel it should.
No water shift, just heavy in the back end. The boat has no trim tabs. I feel that it is a prop issue, but just don't know what to do from here. Motor is Merc.
Thanks guys.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Is it Merc OB or MerCruiser? Make sure the motor is trimmed all the way down. Remove the tilt pin if an OB and tuck that motor in for best hole shot.

Now give us a tachometer reading at full throttle, with a given prop.

jbcurt00

Staff member
What size Merc OB or Mercruiser inboard/outboard?

Does using trim switch move the outdrive, and does it stay where you put it?

I'm guessing its an I/O

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to guess that you have an I/O and need the carburetor cleaned. As you give it full throttle, the accelerator pump is providing the fuel you need to accelerate but if you open it up slowly the jets aren't allowing enough fuel to be sucked into the airflow because they are dirty.

It could be many other things but I see this as a likely scenario.

Pat Tull

Recruit
I have a 2001 180BR with 4.3 running a 14x19p 3 blade stainless prop and it'll jump up on plane without issue. The 19p prop will over rev the motor in my case at WOT, but I don't run WOT so it's a non-issue. I'm typically on plane, backing off the throttle and trimming out by 3800rpm. My spare prop is a 23p aluminium and it'll take it to plane just take a bit longer. Definitely something else going on.