1995 Capri 1800 LS with 135HP Merc. Opinion on weight and spray please . . .

Petermgr

Cadet
Hi everyone,

Last year I replaced the original 120hp Force motor on my recently purchased 1995 Capri 1800 LS with a rebuilt 135hp Merc. The motor was installed last Fall and only now have I done a test ride.

The 135hp Merc is 97lbs heavier than the 120hp Force, but I was assured that the weight difference wouldn't pose a problem for the boat. In saying that however, I of course notice that the boat sits lower in the water. But I'm not sure if it's too low, or if I should be concerned. The boat handles very well and planes nicely. I do notice there is a lot of spray from the sides of the motor. The motor was mounted with the anti-cavitation plate in line with the bottom of the keel. I contacted the boat mechanic who installed the motor, and he indicated that I shouldn't be concerned, but that installing stabilizer fins may reduce the spray.

I have attached photos. Would appreciate any feedback.

p1280379281-4.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-06-28 at 11.46.12 AM.png

Thanks,

Peter

Attachments

• p1280379281-4.jpg
    p1280379281-4.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 0
  • p1280379281-4.jpg
    p1280379281-4.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2015-06-28 at 11.46.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-28 at 11.46.12 AM.png
    784.7 KB · Views: 0

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trimming the engine should help.. mine looks like that if it's running to high up. Do you have auto trim ?. I'm not familiar with that engine ?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
In the first picture, I see the boat is riding plenty high above the water line, as would be expected. That boat should handle that V6 motor w/o issue.

In the second picture, I see excessive spray. I suspect the motor it down too much, but you should verify. I would run her at high speed and take a look over the transom. The antiventilation plate should be riding on the surface of the water, or slightly above it, when she is trimmed properly.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... With all the side spray,... it looks to me like the motor is mounted to low, or needs to be trimmed up more,....

Petermgr

Cadet
Trimming the engine should help.. mine looks like that if it's running to high up. Do you have auto trim ?. I'm not familiar with that engine ?

Thanks Bob. I don't have auto trim. But I recall testing it with trimming it up, and still getting more than usual spray. Could be my motor is mounted too low? Was thinking that maybe I should invest in a jack plate for raising the motor when I need to (I sometimes fish in shallow water as well).

Petermgr

Cadet
In the first picture, I see the boat is riding plenty high above the water line, as would be expected. That boat should handle that V6 motor w/o issue.

In the second picture, I see excessive spray. I suspect the motor it down too much, but you should verify. I would run her at high speed and take a look over the transom. The antiventilation plate should be riding on the surface of the water, or slightly above it, when she is trimmed properly.

Thanks Chris,

I will take your advice and check the antiventilation plate position at high speed. Hopefully will get a chance to get out again in 3 weeks.

Petermgr

Cadet
Ayuh,..... With all the side spray,... it looks to me like the motor is mounted to low, or needs to be trimmed up more,....

Thanks Bondo,

I got a feeling that the motor may be too low, since the older 120 Force seemed to sit higher (I switched out motors shortly after I purchased the boat, so can't be sure). The boat mechanic installed the motor with the anti-cavitation in line with the bottom of the boat. I've read various other posts regarding the height of the motor, and in some cases I read that the motor can be mounted much higher, but if not done correctly can cause handling problems or damage to the motor. This my first boat and motor of this size (had boats with tiller motors before), so I'm quite new at this, and want to make sure I don't create a more serious issue than spray by adjusting the height of the motor incorrectly.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i think your motor is too low too - is it a 25" leg or 20" ? - i would raise it 1 hole for sure, maybe 2 - what kind of speed are you seeing now compared to the force ?