Cobalt R7 vs. Formula 290 BR - Does size matter that much?

rpwolf

Recruit
Newbie looking for some advice. I am buying my 1st boat for Lake of the Ozarks in MO. The lake is massively busy on weekends with largechop in main channel areas. Everyone I've talked with that lives on lake has said bigger is better. We first looked at the Cobalt and fell in love with its styling and look. We negotiated what we think is a very good deal on a new 2016 R7 with every option we wanted. I also drove a Formula 290BR and really liked the boat - that dealer has a demo unit with low hours they have offered to match pricing on the Cobalt. The Formula has far less options, but most are just convenience and look. Biggest difference is windlass and extended swim deck, rest are things like electric head vs pump. Is the extra foot and weight worth giving up the options we wanted? I "think" from a manufacturer perspective, its a toss up. Wondering about performance on lake and then resale down the road. Welcome any advise.

roffey

Commander
Yup size matters, LOL, or so the wife tells me. Honestly a bigger boat with a deeper V will handle the big chop much better. You will trade off performance and handling with bigger over smaller but I bet you will get boaters here who will dispute that statement as well. Price is a big deal as boat cost goes up exponentially after 21 feet. Its what ever you feel comfortable with. My first big boat was 26 feet and was a pain to trailer in and out of the water. My current boat is 20 feet and is a joy to dock, trailer and maintain.

Oh and welcome aboard.

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I feel that the Cobalt will handle any water a new owner will try to tackle. A 29 is a lot of boat for a new boater. I would opt for the Cobalt.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Having spoken to several people who boat on LOTO... Yes size matters... BUT you aren't ready to buy if you are still asking this question.... Get out on LOTO on a busy weekend on someone else's boat (the 4th is coming up) and see first hand what you are dealing with...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I've been on that lake and I'd want the bigger boat. More of a learning curve, I suppose, but LOTO gets seriously choppy.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I've been on LOTO for 20 years - size matters a lot. The Cobalt will handle it safely, and are very nice boats, but you are going to get rocked some days. 27' is the bare minimum for the lake IMO. I'm 33' and there are days that I don't stay on plane because of the rough water.

Are you going to trailer it? Where do you plan to boat? The higher the mile marker number the less boat you need. If you plan to bar hop between the dam and 35 MM, you are in big water at all times.

tpenfield

Staff member
Although I am a " Formula Guy", Cobalt is a very nice boat.

Some things to consider . . .

Cobalt R7 is a single engine? Formula 290 is a twin engine? Twins will run better and push you through the chop better. Maintenance is 2X, fuel maybe a bit more than the R7. . . But I was totally surprised when I went from a single engine boat to a twin engine boat. . . Fuel consumption went from 6 gph to about 8 gph on a much bigger boat. So not bad at all.

Bigger is better for rough conditions, but also compare the deadrise spec on the 2 boats. I am not sure if the Cobalt has as much deadrise as the Formula. More is better for chop.

You are also comparing a 27 to a 29 foot boat and the sparse options on the 29 are what is helping to achieve price parity. I am not sure what the MSRP difference is between the boats, but I would imagine it is quite a bit ( not that they sell at anywhere near MSRP).

Also, if you are a new/newer boater, then smaller might be better. There is always the Formula 270!!! Also, you may find a slightly used 290 in your area.

Anyway, the 290 should be better in the rougher conditions than the R7, but that is not the whole story. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

rpwolf

Recruit
So I ended up with the Cobalt R7 and couldn't be happier! Been out of the water nearly every weekend and minus 1 or 2 really rough days, the Cobalt has been great. Great advice here and throughout the site - helped very much.

tpenfield

Staff member
Excellent and thanks for posting the follow-up. We are always wanting to know how folks made out.

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I ended up with the Cobalt R7 and couldn't be happier! Been out of the water nearly every weekend and minus 1 or 2 really rough days, the Cobalt has been great. Great advice here and throughout the site - helped very much.

No pics?