Stuck neutral button Mercruiser 3.0

Hey All.

A typical newby question.

Been searching through the forms looking for tips / pictures of how to remove throttle control / neutral button on a 2001 Maxum 1800 SR with a Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha 1. The throttle is not branded as a mercury unit it's got maxum written on it.

I'm guessing the issue is in the throttle lever not the linkage on the engine ?

Engine will not go into gear.

Can't seem to find a diagram or picture of how to remove the button and check the button assembly.

All help appreciated.

Mike -

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Mike

Since it's not a Merc control, can you post a photo after reaching 3 posts? It may be a Mercury control with the Maxum name on it.

No Title

Sorry for the delay - had some issues trying to upload these pictures.

Any advice would be appreciated - also if this is the wrong location I can post it in the right location !

Cheers,

Mike

Attachments

• photo223998.JPG
    photo223998.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo224000.JPG
    photo224000.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 0
  • photo224001.JPG
    photo224001.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo224002.JPG
    photo224002.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 0

roffey

Commander
For what ever its worth that is the same control I have for my Stingray so it must be a mercury control. There is a gear select in the out drive, I wonder if someone changed the impeller and put the outdrive back on incorrectly? Might be easier to check the out drive than disable the safety feature. I can see it now, boat is idling and someone hits the throttle and all head to the stern, in a hurry.

Last edited:
Thanks roffey, whatever happened has happened since I put it in the water or was working correctly until just the other day, no prop work.......

roffey

Commander
K, I've spent my vast knowledge, LOL, and I thought I had it. I am sure some more helpful than I will be along shortly.

Removed throttle control - sealed unto with no markings and three Philips screws on the back. I can shift into gear manually at the engine. Nothing else working.

Update - took control unit apart and discovered the neutral button spring was compressed and needed lubrication, and it's all good now.

Case closed.

shrew

Lieutenant
Brunswick owns Maxum and Mercury/Mercruiser (AS well as Bayliner, Searay.......). That is a Quicksilver 3000, which is also made by Brunswick. Essentially that is a Mercruiser with a Maxum label on it.