new here

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, Ive been lurking for a while. I currently have a small 12ft boat that was my grandfathers. My 7 year old and I take it to an electric only lake 2 miles from our house to play with. She is now really getting into fishing and my wife wants to go with us. Needless to say the 12 footer wont do anymore. Im looking for something in the 16 to 18 foot range that is stable and can handle the three of us easily. For some reason I'm set on an aluminum boat(probably given my aviation career). I'm not an experienced boater but learn quick. Im looking for advice on what kind of boat to be shopping for(deep v, etc...). Like everyone else these days I'm broke so Im in the market for a fixer upper. Im not worried about doing the work as long as its a sound structure. we would like to be able to trailer it to some other lakes near by that allow gas motors also. I envision an afternoon fishing and just cruising around with mabye some tubing when the daughter gets older. any advice on what I should be looking for? Thanks, and this site is amaizing.

Chad

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Chad:

Look for an aluminum dual console boat. I think you'll like the layout for a 16'. It'll be pretty conducive to fishing, aluminum and will handle inland waters pretty nicely. Though another option that you should probably consider is a smaller pontoon. Great platform for fishing and and you can swim off it when it gets hot ... kiddo can jump off the front for fun.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is a16' a good size or should I be looking at something more like 18'? I thought that I wanted something more like a bass boat design until I actually stood beside one at BPS. I would be a nervous reck each time out with the daughter with how close the water is to the gunnels on the boat. I could see her falling in, that's why I thought a deep v type would be better. The pontoon sounds like an option too. Are pontoons more of a pain to trailer all the time?

southkogs

Staff member
I would think a 'toon can be a booger on a trailer, however there are a LOT of people who tow 'em here in TN where I am. Good fishin' platform and a great way to load several people on and mozy around the lake.

I agree with you, I don't like a bass boat setup with kids. I like a deeper well cockpit than that. In terms of length ... consider what you can afford, tow, store and fuel. If fishing is the order of the day - and the bulk of what you're going to be doing, 3 people in a 16' will be fine. Maybe a bit small, but you should be fine. That said - relatively few people in the history of boating didn't like getting a bigger boat.

I've got a 17 and I stick my family on it often ... it's tight but it works for us. I've got a buddy who's got a 28' ... feedin' 2 V8s will be a noticeable line item in the checkbook :scared:.

Can ya' rent a couple of boats and try 'em out?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Check into the Starcraft SS line in 16 or 18'. Aluminum open bow, dual console with full windshield, deep v and lots of freeboard to keep little occupants inside.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. Towing and storing is not a problem at all. Affording is a different story. Not sure about renting one in our area. We have friends on a lake in central Maine who have a pontoon. I always thought they were not be for me. Since we have been on it Ive changed my mind about them. Having said that here in central Pa I think I'm leaning to more of a deep v type hull. I found an 82 blue fin sportsman with electric troller and 50 hp outboard. I have not looked at it yet but the guy seemed honest talking on the phone. He said the interior needs redone, Trailer needs tires and the motor needs a harness replaced on it. He said he has the harness. He wants $500 for the whole set up. Does that sound fair so long as the items are actually in the condition he said they are in. I'm drawn to find one that needs work, both for the price and the fact I can make the layout how I want it. I also think the daughter would really enjoy working on it with me. On a funny note she asked me a while ago why a lot of boats have girls names on them. I gave her my idea why. She then wanted her name on our little 12 footer. Needless to say it now has in an off pink color Miss _ _ _ _ _ on the back of it. You should see the looks we get from others!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If fishing is high on your list then a dual console boat should not be considered. A single, side console allows more freedom to move about and makes a 16 footer feel more like a dual console 17 - 18 footer. For three folks, a 16 will be just fine and there are a many manufacturers to choose from. Lund, Alumacraft, and Crestliner are just three of the better brands in the Midwest. A 16 will be rated for a 75 HP engine which will tow a skier or tuber just fine yet be relatively inexpensive to run and easy to trailer.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, Its gona be a few years until I would let her on a tube behind a boat. Yeah fishing is one of the things we would do on it but I think it would also be used just as much for just cruising around or exploring. None of us are die hard fishermen, we all enjoy fishing as a way for us all to get out together and do something fun.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Might be a good idea to check into engine size restrictions on lakes in your area. Some places have 10hp or less requirements. Nothing more frustrating than having a nice boat with a big go-fast motor only to find out that it can't be used on any waters within a hundred miles of home. So you end up trying to putt around the lake using an electric trolling motor. BTDT. :blue:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Thanks. I found an 82 blue fin sportsman with electric troller and 50 hp outboard. I have not looked at it yet but the guy seemed honest talking on the phone. He said the interior needs redone, Trailer needs tires and the motor needs a harness replaced on it. He said he has the harness. He wants $500 for the whole set up.

I paid more than that just for my used trailer. Im broke too by the way. I got the trailer go ahead from the admiral because she went shopping with tax return came home and said "I spent $x,xxx today, you can buy what ever trailer you want." HAhaha. I was your crazy for spending that and ok im getting a trailer tomorrow.

Anyhow. When good deals on cheap fixable boats pop up they usually gotta be jumped on fast. I got just the boat first and borrowed a trailer to get it home. Keep lookin and be patient and the right one will appear. I dont have room to store another boat and im still looking at them for sale and get mad that I cant get it. I think you would be able to fish fine outa a dual console by the way.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You should run to that guys house with the cash in hand and pop on that BF for that price. That is if you're up for a complete restoration.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try to get together with the BF owner to look at it. Are they decent boats for what I want? I figured if down the road we decided we needed something different we could sell it and upgrade. It has a 50hp Johnson on it. Is that a decent engine for the hull? I'm not looking to set speed records but want to be able to power around lakes at more than trolling speeds. Thanks again for the advice.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've seen people tubing with 50hp boats before. Personally I've never done it with anything less than a 90hp, but as your child gets bigger, brings friends, etc, the load on the tube will get higher. I would try to do a 75hp at least.

southkogs

Staff member
I learned to ski behind a 35HP. Not exciting ... but it got the job done.

50HP won't be a powerhouse, but it'll be fine for kids and general monkeying around.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks everyone for the advice. It looks like the BF is sold although the new owner has not finished the deal yet. I asked the seller to let me know if it falls through. So it looks like I'm back on the search for a boat in need of work. I would swear I used to see them sitting behind barns or in fence rows around here before I was looking. When I finally get something I'll post pictures and start asking many more technical questions.

dozerII

Admiral
That year Blue fin would be a great boat, it is the same design as a StarCraft 16 SS with different trim and paint. Great all around boat, you can fish there or four people easily anymore won't work, and they are good for tubing and cruising as well depending on lake conditions.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
stay away from old fiberglass boats, especially when they say floor just replace and then you see a tarp half *** covering it. Will have more rot issues. For my money I'd go with the last one, although I never had a boat with 'gears' so not sure what he's talking about. And in your part of the country no title can be a headache.