Brush, roll or spray

bennylt

Seaman
I'm going to be painting the exterior hull (above water line) on my 15" riveted aluminum boat. I don;t have a paint sprayer, but i could get access to one if i really need to. However I don't have any practice using one.

My question is. if I'm just using a standard, rustoleum marine paint on top of etching primer. can I brush, or roll? which would be better?

This is not a show boat. it is a simple fishing boat. and I'm just painting it plain white. the old paint is almost all stripped off now, I'll finish stripping and sanding soon. then prime and paint.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
It would be way cheaper to roll n tip if you're good at such things. I tried it and a week later after sanding out the sags along the whole boat I bought an HVLP gun and shot a perfect paint job first try. Problem is you'll need a substantial compressor to have enough air. Just be sure to use catalyst hardener no matter which way you choose.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to admit up front that I am bias to spray on finishes. I have never tried roll and roll, or roll and tip. I have seen some nice finishes with folks doing that, but a HVLP spray gun and a capable compressor will do that same thing quicker with less effort. And the results you can get spraying such finishes looks amazing as well... But like I said, I am totally bias... :thumb:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
This is what I'm going to do on one of my tins. The interior paint is in bad condition, many areas there is no paint left. So I'm going to give the roll and roll method on the inside just to see how it turns out. If nice I might try it on the outside, otherwise I'll be spraying.

bennylt

Seaman
Interesting. I am thinking about getting an HVLP gun package anyhow, we have a LONG fence to paint . But was worried about drips etc. I suppose i'd get just as many drips, if not more by rolling.

I'm not sure what this "Roll & Tip" method is. I'll need to look that up.

Thanks for the replies. perhaps I'll get the HVLP gun, and paint the fence as practice then paint the boat.

I was planning on using Rustoleum, that doesn't use an add in hardener. Not buying auto paint.

I want it to look nice and be durable, but it's just a fishing boat and I'm not planning to spend a fortune on paint. Am I missing something?

dozerII

Admiral
Yes using the Rustoleum paint you still want to use a hardener to speed drying and toughen the paint. I also tried the Roll on roll for about 10 minutes and quickly found out it is not for me and went with an HVLP gun.

bennylt

Seaman
After all of your advice, and some more research online I'm going with a wagner HVLP gun. and I'll be spraying the boat. thanks for the hardener advice. I'll need to research what hardener is recommended for the paint I choose and the proper dosage.

I appreciate all the tips!

This shouldn't be a huge production because the boat is going to be completely stripped of all hardware and flooring when I do the paint. I'll tape a couple place, but that's it.

I'm painting everything inside and out white. Then I'll go back with a color for the tops of the gunwales. I'm thinking blue.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
After all of your advice, and some more research online I'm going with a wagner HVLP gun. and I'll be spraying the boat. thanks for the hardener advice. I'll need to research what hardener is recommended for the paint I choose and the proper dosage.

I appreciate all the tips!

This shouldn't be a huge production because the boat is going to be completely stripped of all hardware and flooring when I do the paint. I'll tape a couple place, but that's it.

I'm painting everything inside and out white. Then I'll go back with a color for the tops of the gunwales. I'm thinking blue.

benny, do you have an air compressor? Because the HVLP spray gun with an air compressor would be the best of all worlds for such a finish. Wagner guns are not necessarily the same thing. I've try using one for a short time and honestly, I didn't like what I was getting from such a setup. So I went to an air compressor and 1.4mm tipped HVLP spray gun. The finish is amazing. If you care to see the outcome, click the Engine rebuild on my link. And one issue. If I can do it anybody can... :thumb:

bennylt

Seaman
I have a good Compressor. But for the painter i'm talking about this guy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...liid=I28XLHG9CMVP23&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

It is not one of those little wagner hand held units. it has the constant pressure blower. basically a shop vac running in reverse. a steady movement of air without any recovery needed.

I've heard good things about these, likewise I have heard bad things about the little wagner hand held electric sprayers.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have a good Compressor. But for the painter i'm talking about this guy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...liid=I28XLHG9CMVP23&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

It is not one of those little wagner hand held units. it has the constant pressure blower. basically a shop vac running in reverse. a steady movement of air without any recovery needed.

I've heard good things about these, likewise I have heard bad things about the little wagner hand held electric sprayers.

benny, if you think you can use that and get the results you're wanting, then go for it. Personally, I take that money and buy a nice HVLP auto finish spray gun and find a good compressor to do the job. But whatever you like will work... Post some pictures of your project so we all can see. That's what makes these forums the best in the world.... :thumb:

bennylt

Seaman
I think it will do for my purposes. It's just a fishing boat. I'm not worried about shine, but I don't like drips!!!

I have a build thread in the starcraft forum already. called "New Guy"

This is my first Boat restoration by the way. so I'm learning as I go. you guys are all very helpful.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
benny, I take it your other post is the actual hull you're refurbishing and wanting to paint. Nice lines on that boat. I will watch to see your efforts and project. And whatever method you decide to finish it is the right one for certain... We all have opinions and suggestions, but each individual has to make their own choses to how they want to do things... :thumb: