1965 McCulloch with 60 hp Soverign

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I am currently looking at buying a 1965 McCulloch 14 ft fiberglass and I am looking for specs of the boat. I am particularly interested in the max HP and the max speed of the boat as it will be used for skiing and tubing with adults and older teenagers.

Last edited by a moderator:

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I assume you mean 1965. Fiberglass boats of that era were very heavy. No one knew how strong fiberglass was and they tended to over built. Back then I has a 120hp motor on an 18' boat. I would think max on a 14 would be about 80hp. If you can find an older two stroke, they tend to be lighter.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Max speed would likely be in the upper 30s, maybe low 40s if all is good. That said, if you're tubing with an old 60hp V4 Gale (made by OMC) then be prepared to buy stock in a fuel barge. Thirsty bugger...

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Max speed would likely be in the upper 30s, maybe low 40s if all is good. That said, if you're tubing with an old 60hp V4 Gale (made by OMC) then be prepared to buy stock in a fuel barge. Thirsty bugger...
The motor is shot on it so I'll be repowering it with w '77 merc 50 hp Not bad on fuel

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
My experience with fiberglass runabouts of the day were that they were light, maybe 500# for a 14' runabout, closed bow, one piece windshield, 2 seats, maybe a splash well, maybe not and a floor, made with a matt or two of woven fiberglass roving, some resin, a couple of wood stringers, a wood transom core, a strip of wood across the inside of the dash and that's it.

The 77 Merc 50 cross flow was in production for many 10's of years and was as good an engine as could be bought at the time. I had an 85 Merc of the era.

50 hp on that boat, if like I described would be a nice combo and upper 30's would be expected. FIL had a boat like I described and with 2 people and gear powered with a rude 40 would run around 30 +. 50 on that boat would have been just right.

Before you set out, get in the Merc archives and look up what you need to do to the engine before you leave. If this is your first boat look at the bottom of this posting and take a USCG boating safety course. You won't regret it.