I need to get rid of my old boat?

jennawhite

Recruit
My husband and I are looking into buying a 215 Bowrider, so we would need to get rid of our old boat. I would like to avoid selling it, because I do not want to deal with any of that. We have been doing some research and found

EDIT
a charity that takes boats
EDIT

I was wondering if anybody had donated a boat to a charity ? I know they provide you with a fair market tax deduction and even a free vacation voucher. Any feed back is welcomed :joyous:

Last edited by a moderator:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: jennawhite to iboats...

YES there are places you can donate your boat. In fact I bought my present boat, motor and trailer from a charity boat place. That place was Boat Angels. But there are so many others out there as well. Of course all it needed was the engine rebuilt, the trailer rebuilt, and the boat rebuilt. Other then that it was in great condition. :facepalm: You can see my rebuilding efforts it in my links provide below...

jkust

Rear Admiral
Pay attention to the charitable contribution rules that were substantially changed in 2013 under the new, more complex and severely punitive formula that restricts any and all charitable contributions. There is a point (income dependent) at which you will receive little to no tax credit in relation to the value of the cash and goods you donate much less a few hundred dollar boat. Donating is not a tax strategy any longer for some and is done for convenience and of course to the betterment of society, etc. The so called loop holes for the ordinary income earner ended in 2013.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Pay attention to the charitable contribution rules that were substantially changed in 2013 under the new, more complex and severely punitive formula that restricts any and all charitable contributions. There is a point (income dependent) at which you will receive little to no tax credit in relation to the value of the cash and goods you donate much less a few hundred dollar boat. Donating is not a tax strategy any longer for some and is done for convenience and of course to the betterment of society, etc. The so called loop holes for the ordinary income earner ended in 2013.

What he said. I don't recall all the deails, but even the market valuation for the deduction (or the deduction itself, can't recall which) is dependent on whether the boat is donated to an organization that can USE it (like a maritime school) or just any old 'charity'. Still, given the state of the resale market, it might be worth it just to get rid of it with a minimum of hassle.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Normally, I sell the parts off my old boats for their value and then take the hull to the dump, of course where I live, I can take boats to the landfill for free.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you want to get rid of an older age boat or unwanted parts, simply park end of your driveway and put large FREE sign on it. I did this and my old boat (1985 16.5' Scorpion Bowrider with NO engine) was gone within 1.5 days. Free things go fast in my low income community....

This might work for you as well...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Biggest problem with parking it at the end of the driveway with a free sign on it, I don't want to get rid of the trailer, I always keep the trailer and use it, or sell it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
In or near Wisconsin?

Give it to Rawhide Boys Ranch, a good charity that uses the proceeds to help displaced boys and turn them into fine young men.
They have quite a facility that includes a school, work, and housing.

jkust

Rear Admiral
If you want to get rid of an older age boat or unwanted parts, simply park end of your driveway and put large FREE sign on it. I did this and my old boat (1985 16.5' Scorpion Bowrider with NO engine) was gone within 1.5 days. Free things go fast in my low income community....

This might work for you as well...

Was catching up with an old friend the other day....when he puts the free sign on stuff, nobody takes it. As soon as he put a nominal amount on the sign, people would just steel the stuff from the curb.

jennawhite

Recruit
Thank you for everyone's replies, I actually did donate my boat.

Last edited by a moderator:

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
In or near Wisconsin?

Give it to Rawhide Boys Ranch, a good charity that uses the proceeds to help displaced boys and turn them into fine young men.
They have quite a facility that includes a school, work, and housing.

I got my StarCraft Falcon from the Rawhide Ranch.