How do I clean vinyl seats?

Suprathepeg

Petty Officer 1st Class
I picked up a set of decent shape vinyl seats but there are some small rust stains etc on on them and some tiny black dots all over from being in the elements. What are the options for cleaning these things up? I've already tried dish soap and a brush.

oldjeep

Admiral
303 vinyl cleaner and then once you have them clean apply a healthy coat of 303 protectant so that it doesn't happen again.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Tuff Stuff works good on vinyl. Not sure how well it will work on the rust tho. I know lime juice takes out rust. You may want to google it. I don't remember if you use it full strength. It's been awhile since I tried it, I just don't know the details of use.....

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've had some luck with Soft Scrub. It's slightly abrasive and has bleach in it.

tpenfield

Staff member
for the rust stains, I m not sure if "Iron Out" will be OK, but it does work great on fiberglass. So, maybe worth a try.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Simple Green at a 50% solution worked good on my seats. Scrub brush and warm water with the simple green solution, scrub down good, then wipe dry.

Suprathepeg

Petty Officer 1st Class
I couldn't find any of the above locally so I grabbed some CLR, magic eraser and a powder cleaner with bleach. The powder so far is working well.

oldjeep

Admiral
I hope you are kidding. Magic eraser is a sanding sponge, and cleanser is even worse. Great way to destroy the vinyl.

Suprathepeg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea I know it's not ideal. It was the only thing that worked though. The stains were absorbed deep into the vinyl. FYI the magic eraser didn't work very well, so I didn't use it.

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
303 vinyl cleaner and then once you have them clean apply a healthy coat of 303 protectant so that it doesn't happen again.

+1 but we may be a little biased...:eagerness:

Our old 303? Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner is now called 303? Multi-Surface Cleaner. We would be happy to get out a bottle of that and a bottle of 303? Aerospace Protectant to the first 5 people who reply to this post and PM us with your shipping information. All we ask in return is that you post a response in this thread about the use of the products within 30 days of receiving them.

If anyone has any questions about protecting surfaces of their boats, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Have a great day!

oldjeep

Admiral

Our old 303? Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner is now called 303? Multi-Surface Cleaner. We would be happy to get out a bottle of that and a bottle of 303? Aerospace Protectant to the first 5 people who reply to this post and PM us with your shipping information. All we ask in return is that you post a response in this thread about the use of the products within 30 days of receiving them.

If anyone has any questions about protecting surfaces of their boats, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Have a great day!

I wouldn't mind some free stuff. My protectant is just about gone ;) 303 is mentioned by name in my Malibu manual

robert graham

Admiral
For dark mildew spots I dip an old toothbrush in bleach and scrub the spots...then rinse with fresh water....works fine on my seats and Bimini top!....

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

Have a great day!

ditto

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer

Have a great day!

Does this make me the fifth to respond? One of the posts above doesn't mention the giveaway. And I've always wanted to try the 303 stuff.

Last edited:

sasto

Captain
All the above and if that doesn't work....Acetone. Gonna take the life out of the vinyl. It is a last resort.

bruce0359

Cadet
Wished I'd know about 303 before cleaning the seats on our new to me pontoon last weekend. Thinking I need to try the potectant

oldjeep

Admiral
Wished I'd know about 303 before cleaning the seats on our new to me pontoon last weekend. Thinking I need to try the potectant

Just make sure the seats are good and clean first. Then you use a bunch of the protectant - seats will be slippery until you let it sit in the sun for a bit. Makes it so pretty much anything will just wipe off the seats. My 2005 bayliner with an almost entirely white interior was still perfect when I sold it last year.