SkegGard.. for a missing skeg?

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all...<br /><br />I have a 1989 MerCruiser Alpha One. When I purchased it, I didn't have as much boating knowledge as I should have and did not notice that the skeg is completely missing.<br /><br />When I did finally see it, I looked at closely and it looks as though the remains of the old skeg were completely ground off!<br /><br />Does anyone know if SkegGard will be able to attach when there is absolutely no original skeg in place? Any other options? Or am I about to start hunting for a welder?<br /><br />Thanks all!

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: SkegGard.. for a missing skeg?

I believe that you need 3" of skeg to drill mounting holes through. <br /><br />-JustMrWill<br /><br />Just out of curiousity...what model is your Regal?

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

You can buy an aluminum skeg and have it welded on.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Unixgeek, I wuld check with mercruiser to see if they sell replacement skegs. I know they sell replacements for outboards(don't ask how I know!). You can then pull the outdrive, put it in your trunk and take it to a good welder. They can be welded without removing the gears.

NYMINUTE

Captain

3" of the skegg needed to mount the Skegguard.

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

JustMrWill... Hi... it's a Sebring and I love it!<br /><br />RatFish & Chris1956... I did contact a welder and his fear is that the amount of heat that welding a new skeg will generate locally could potentially warp the outdrives inards... ugh!<br /><br />I'm starting to wonder how much a casing for a lower drive would run run me... then transfer the guts from mine to the new (well... used) one.<br /><br />Bring On Another Thousand.... it rings true every time!<br /><br />Thanks for the responses!<br /><br />...Steve...

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

Is the missing skeg causing a handling problem? You said you had used the boat several times before you noticed the missing skeg. If there isn't a problem, I wouldn't go looking for one. I'd save my money until I needed the lower unit seals replaced and spend the money then.

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

makes sense... just hate leaving the prop exposed. If I never noticed it, I wouldn't mind. But now it's on my mind. As for handling.. I get a little play in the steering wheel, but it's more than manageable. Certainly not a safety exposure. I will likely keep it status quo and when I'm in that area doing something else, then I'll address it. But that SkegGard would have worked well for the last owners instead of grinding the little bugger off!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Unixgeek, Some welders I spoke to had the same fear. They wanted me to strip the lower unit gears, seals etc. On welder experienced with marine stuff (I live near the ocean and bay), said he would weld it with everything installed(including the grease). That was at least ten years ago, and I haven't has an once of trouble. Just so you know the lower unit was from a Merc 150 Hp inline 6 motor.