What do you think of these boats?

hostage

Lieutenant
I found on a thread that the 4.3L weighs 211lbs more than the 3.0L. So this makes the Stingray still the most heaviest boat @ 2316 lbs, compared to the next heavies @ 2150.

Can you just switch the pitch of the prop sacrificing top end speed for better hole shot?

My friend negociated the SeaRay down to $7,995:
http://marksleisuretimemarine.boatplace.net/1997-sea-ray-185-NY-psi29939

Last edited:

hostage

Lieutenant
Here is one that has a 5L MPI and snap in carpet at the top of his budget. The only concerns are the gelcoat, I called the guy and said the previous owner kids were careless about docking the boat. http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/5061535156.html

I wonder if this can be fixed with a little marine tex

Edit: He said we could test drive it.

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral
Wow, not what I was expecting to hear! I did see the weight is 2500, though with a 4.3L: http://www.stingrayboats.com/products/catalogs/2003/all.pdf

The question is how much heavier is a 4.3L vs a 3L? This boat is seems like it will be heavier than the others.

I'm not a fan of the Stingray quality, content or ride but their hull is designed to be fast...that's their shtick. Back in the day (late 90's, early 2000's if I recall, they were getting 60mph on radar on a carbed 4.3 and low 50's with even a carbed 3.0).

hostage

Lieutenant
I'm not a fan of the Stingray quality, content or ride but their hull is designed to be fast...that's their shtick. Back in the day (late 90's, early 2000's if I recall, they were getting 60mph on radar on a carbed 4.3 and low 50's with even a carbed 3.0).

I guess I can understand that as their boats are geared towards fishing, if I understand the company correctly.

My friends were going to check out the ebbtide, though the guy selling it seems sketchy. He keeps saying the water level is to high, though while his concern was valid a week ago, I don't think it is anymore. No boat advisory anymore and the water is down a few inches, from last week.

They are planning on checking out the searay this weekend. The marina selling the searay, sold a Maxum we were really interested in for about $1-2k less. I thought the Maxum was a better deal as it was the bow rider version of my boat and a couple years newer. Granted it has carpet and I think it is still over priced by about $1-1,500, it is the only vortec 4.3L in the area.

As they are now avoiding the 3.0Ls, I am wondering about that 5.0L 20ft Crownline. This boat seems very well priced for some semi-bad dock rash: http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/5061535156.html

What are your thoughts on that boat?

jkust

Rear Admiral
As they are now avoiding the 3.0Ls, I am wondering about that 5.0L 20ft Crownline. This boat seems very well priced for some semi-bad dock rash: http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/5061535156.html

What are your thoughts on that boat?

When I think of the boat in my mind that is the quintessential example of quality, early 2000's bowriders, that exact Crownline is pretty much what I'm thinking of.
You've gotten out of the sub 20 foot entry level mentality that most builders had and into that next level that is where I would look at in the used market. It has the 5.0 MPI (MPI being brand new for 2002 so not just EFI), SS hardware, even the sport package with the upgraded wheel and pop up cleats, etc. Back in the day, that was a boat to envy. I can't really tell how bad the damage is to the V if it is into the mat or just gelcoat damage. For 10k and with MPI I can overlook a lot of the surface gouges and scratches. Of course with that much neglect, I wonder how the engine and drive were maintained. I remember way back when I was looking at buying my current boat, there was a one year old Sea Ray that had MPI which at the time was hard to find on under 20 foot bowriders. The upcharge for MPI was a material percentage of the whole purchase. I went and checked out the boat because it was so new and the guy had a really low price on it. Basically he lent it out to any friend who wanted to use it and they must've hit everything and anything with it, it was so completely beat to heck. It would almost seem impossible to have a boat go through one season of use and be as destroyed as that Sea Ray. The owner apparently just kept buying a new boat every season or so. I wasn't interested but this CL might very well be a bargain for a first boat.

hostage

Lieutenant
From what the guy said, it seemed like it was just that, the kids used it once and beat it up, when trying to dock it. So you think is the best value out of all the ones I posted?

jkust

Rear Admiral
From what the guy said, it seemed like it was just that, the kids used it once and beat it up, when trying to dock it. So you think is the best value out of all the ones I posted?

It is the only boat to me that is even a contender assuming condition is acceptable other than the obvious mentioned above. That CL is a Mercedes and the others are go carts. Class-wise they aren't even comparable.

hostage

Lieutenant
I thought so :) That boat has my interest, I could always buy it and sell my boat to my friend, as my boat is exactly what he is looking for.

How would I get the wife to commit to that? I think I could upgrade for about $2-3k.

Mine is a good condition 2000 1900SC Maxum Cuddy 4.3L 190hp, snap-in carpet. after market bimini, full camper enclosure, pump out head, death sounder, and lots more :) Bellows and impeller replaced not to long ago.

jkust

Rear Admiral
You have to get her to want it. I was floored when my wife asked me to go and buy a Waverunner after I explained to her how much fun I had on the one I rented in the Caymans. I'd really take a long, hard look at the Crownline to get a good assessment of its condition. If you plan to fix it yourself, keep in mind all of your time that you will be spending fixing instead of out on your Maxum in such a short boating season.

When I looked at the Crownline ad you posted the other day, it had already been posted on CL for over 2 weeks if I recall. That alone makes me wonder because honest to goodness good deals don't last a day so make me wonder how many people demurred on it already after assessing it.

I have to say though, I don't know much about cuddy's as in your Maxum since they are just not purchased here in MN in any meaningful number. It's all bowriders (that CL would be sought after her), pontoons that have overtaken bowriders for popularity and of course fishing boats....true direct drive ski boats are getting very popular as well even though they run close to 100k for many of them.

Last edited:

hostage

Lieutenant
You have to get her to want it. I was floored when my wife asked me to go and buy a Waverunner after I explained to her how much fun I had on the one I rented in the Caymans. I'd really take a long, hard look at the Crownline to get a good assessment of its condition. If you plan to fix it yourself, keep in mind all of your time that you will be spending fixing instead of out on your Maxum in such a short boating season.

When I looked at the Crownline ad you posted the other day, it had already been posted on CL for over 2 weeks if I recall. That alone makes me wonder because honest to goodness good deals don't last a day so make me wonder how many people demurred on it already after assessing it.

I have to say though, I don't know much about cuddy's as in your Maxum since they are just not purchased here in MN in any meaningful number. It's all bowriders (that CL would be sought after her), pontoons that have overtaken bowriders for popularity and of course fishing boats....true direct drive ski boats are getting very popular as well even though they run close to 100k for many of them.

I do have that worry as well. I might let the owner know I am coming from Rochester and if there is anything wrong that he hasn't disclosed I would like to know, as I might find any other issues and it would be in both of our interest to know as it would save us both time.

I also worry about that after market fish finder that someone installed. I am not a fan of holes in a boat. I wonder what the chances that the transom is rotted.

Edit: Though I bet the disclosure of damage might have deterred many people already.

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral
I do have that worry as well. I might let the owner know I am coming from Rochester and if there is anything wrong that he hasn't disclosed I would like to know, as I might find any other issues and it would be in both of our interest to know as it would save us both time.

I also worry about that after market fish finder that someone installed. I am not a fan of holes in a boat. I wonder what the chances that the transom is rotted.

Edit: Though I bet the disclosure of damage might have deterred many people already.

It's tough, as I've mentioned in other threads....9 out of 10 seller are dishonest at best and unethical, deceiving liars at worst. I had people flat out lie about obvious stuff to get you out there as though you won't be mad that they purposefully deceived you. Things such as specific options and equipment they tell you it has that it doesn't have. Wasting your time doesn't even hit their radar and adjectives describing the condition or even the extent of damage mean something completely different to them. That's what makes it so sweet when you locate the 1 in 10 that still has morals and ethics.

hostage

Lieutenant
It's tough, as I've mentioned in other threads....9 out of 10 seller are dishonest at best and unethical, deceiving liars at worst. I had people flat out lie about obvious stuff to get you out there as though you won't be mad that they purposefully deceived you. Things such as specific options and equipment they tell you it has that it doesn't have. Wasting your time doesn't even hit their radar and adjectives describing the condition or even the extent of damage mean something completely different to them. That's what makes it so sweet when you locate the 1 in 10 that still has morals and ethics.

I have no doubt that some people are out to get you. I will keep a watchful eye out. While I have met a lot of honest people, I think most won't mention, unless you ask, at least that is what I have experienced. When people say no to a test drive that tends to be a big red flag or just acting sketchy in general about certain things. I think you can tell when someone is being honest about not knowing about something of feigning ignorance.

So I spoke to the wife and she shot down the idea and took the time to voice her other grievances with me, though I think most of those are the preggo hormones talking.

So I decided to speak to my friend again about the boat. My friend's first language is not English and I am trying to explain to him the importance of jumping on a deal when you see one. He is the type who makes plans and wants to stick to them, which isn't the best way to buy a boat for cheap. Tomorrow is going to be a nice day and he wants to go shopping at an outlet store, it is also a day that I am free. He says he planned to do it on Saturday, when it is pouring rain ><. I to will be busy on the weekend and stores have roofs.

It seems like he is more concerned about price tag than overall value. He is interested in that Sea Ray and thinks the dealer will come down from $9k to $7k, I question that the dealer will 23%, when they just reduced the price a couple weeks ago. Also dealers tend to charge more than a private seller.

Well I have given as much advice as I am going to give him, I will wait and see if it takes it or not. I want to help him find a good boat, though he needs to want it more than I do. If you want a good boat for a good price, you have to be proactive about these things. Else you will be left with only 3.0L overpriced options.

Last edited:

hostage

Lieutenant
Maxum 1900SR3 1999 came back on the market as buyer was going to finance it and couldn't get financing. http://rochester.craigslist.org/bod/5080663669.html

This boat is the same as mine, but a year older and an open bow, instead of a cuddy.

I was worried when we first looked at it. The bilge had a lot of water and the boat was a bit dirty, though it was apparent that after it was traded in, someone forgot to remove the plug and the covers hadn't moved since someone took the photos in the ad. The salesman was noticeably embarrassed. The fold out table that sits on the engine cow as saturated with water as it looked like water sat on the engine cow and the OSB inside was like a sponge. This was a red flag for me, that had me worried about other parts of the boat, though the stringers and transom felt solid and their were no soft spots on the deck. Though this boat does have a fiberglass liner and the stringers are wrapped in glass as well. The engine looked cleaner than mine, bellows were replaced not to long ago, and the prop was replaced not to long ago. It wasn't in as good shape as my boat and they agreed to address all of my concerns, with the exception of some esthetic issues like the table and some tears in the vinyl.

He put down $500 as a deposit w/ a CC, with an agreed priced of $6,250, contingent on the repair of the areas I noted and a satisfactory test drive.

Problems I noted that will be fixed:
Out Drive oil reservoir empty and there was oil on the top anode plate. I might ask for a guarantee for the out drive.
Trailer tires replaced as their were dry rot cracking
Anchor light pins sheared off, will be replaced.
Some chipped gelcoat on port bow of hull.
Engine hatch latch broken
Voltage meter not working, couldn't check a few other meters.

Things that won't be fixed by them:
Rips and seam separation in seats: my seats had the same seam separation, though not as many rips.
fold out table wood needs to be replaced.
small tear in cockpit cover needs to be patched.

There were a few things that would have normally made me walk. I would have done it if this was a private seller. This boat was single owner, the guy never trailer it and had all service work done from the marina. They are going to send me all the paper work on the service done with it and the was purchased new from them.

Lastly there was a little play in the lower unit, I could move it about an inch to the right, if I pushed harder I could get the wheel to turn. I don't know if this shows a problem with a gimble or not. In any case I will have them check it out. Also some of the snaps were malformed. I have never seen anything like it and have no idea how snaps become disformed.

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral
Ok so a few pluses and some minuses. I like the boat generally and hits on some of the things like snap in carpet, at least a v6. That out drive reservoir situation could be a simple fix with just a seal by the impeller which would be good to replace as well. Am I gathering correctly that you didn't have the chance to test it on the water? I presume the alarm will go off until the outdrive fluid is filled assuming the alarm is functioning.

hostage

Lieutenant
Ok so a few pluses and some minuses. I like the boat generally and hits on some of the things like snap in carpet, at least a v6. That out drive reservoir situation could be a simple fix with just a seal by the impeller which would be good to replace as well. Am I gathering correctly that you didn't have the chance to test it on the water? I presume the alarm will go off until the outdrive fluid is filled assuming the alarm is functioning.

We haven't test drove it yet, though if the test drive goes well and they fix the problems, then he will purchase it. The condition isn't as good as I was hoping, though the price is right, they are willing to work with us on fixing the problems, and I think it is a good boat in general. The empty reservoir explains the alarm I was hearing, when I turned they key to ass. It is priced cheaper than the 3.0L we were seeing this has snap in carpet and a 4.3L. Also I know the boat fairly well and the business said they will make sure everything is safe and working. The estetics will be something we will have to handle.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Whenever you turn the key to the 'on' position the alarm will steadily sound with no oil pressure since it isn't started. My wife hates the alarm it is so shrill and always asks me if I can disconnect it to which I can only roll my eyes on the inside because the explanation of the purpose of the alarm doesn't matter. .