What do you think of these boats?

hostage

Lieutenant
Helping another friend buy a boat, he currently has a 2005 XL-7 Suzuki, that has a max towing capacity of 3000lbs. His options might be to get a 3.0L, get a bigger tow vehicle, or just slip it and store it at the Marina.

Glastron: (Should be able to tow this with the 3000lbs capacity of his SUV) I do think it is slightly over priced, though looks in good condition.
http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/5075066887.html

Ebbtide: (I seem to like this one overall the best in regards to price, though a 4.3L Volvo)
http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/5023302500.html

He is wanting a family boat for 2 adults and 2+ kids. My concerns about the Ebbtide it is being sold by a Marina, which seems low for a Marina.

hostage

Lieutenant
What's the Glastron powered with? I didn't see what motor is in it.

It is a 3.0L @ 135hp according to Nada guides, don't know if it is a Volvo or Mecrusier. If I see Red/Grey or Black, then I will know for sure.

oldjeep

Admiral
It is a 3.0L @ 135hp according to Nada guides, don't know if it is a Volvo or Mecrusier. If I see Red/Grey or Black, then I will know for sure.

Glastron -
Ad says it is a Volvo. Weight is going to be pushing it since the dry weight on nada is 1980 and doesn't include trailer, batteries, fuel or gear.
Can't tell anything about the condition since the 1 picture was taken from outer space

Ebb Tide - vinyl looks trashed on the back seat, bet the rest of the interior looks even worse in person

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'd think the Glastron might be a bit underpowered with a 3.0 L in it. Personally, I'd want at least a 4.3L.

hostage

Lieutenant
My friend is the type that I don't know if I would want him to have the extra power lol. I have always wondered why people don't take the time to take a good photos and at least remove the covers? I have seen way to many pictures where they just show one picture with the mooring cover on. If I was to sell my boat, I would take a video and post it on youtube.com. That way it saves people's time so they know what they are getting.

That spot in the vinyl looks where people have stepped onto the boat, though I emailed him asking for more photos and questioning the condition of the vinyl.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
My friend is the type that I don't know if I would want him to have the extra power lol. I have always wondered why people don't take the time to take a good photos and at least remove the covers? I have seen way to many pictures where they just show one picture with the mooring cover on. If I was to sell my boat, I would take a video and post it on youtube.com. That way it saves people's time so they know what they are getting.

That spot in the vinyl looks where people have stepped onto the boat, though I emailed him asking for more photos and questioning the condition of the vinyl.

Look at the "kick panel" by the back seat. Looks moldy

hostage

Lieutenant
He emailed me photos he already posted on craigslist and a picture of a random car 0_o. He said the vinyl was like new, but I the pics he did send where higher resolution, that possible tear was just a ripple from people standing on the seat to enter the boat. I sent him another email and he hasn't responded back in 48 hours. You think someone who is wanting ~$6,000 would contact you fairly quickly. Some people on craigslist are very odd...

jkust

Rear Admiral
Are you guys familiar with VIP boats, this one is a bit older, but looks like it is in decent condition. I think he is asking too much:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/5052092454.html

If the engine is also a 1995, it is pre vortec. As for Craigslist, having just bought another boat, and, since it seems CL is THE only thing people use, 9 out of 10 are lying, time-wasting, idiotic, flakey losers and that is the nicest possible way I can say it.

hostage

Lieutenant
If the engine is also a 1995, it is pre vortec. As for Craigslist, having just bought another boat, and, since it seems CL is THE only thing people use, 9 out of 10 are lying, time-wasting, idiotic, flakey losers and that is the nicest possible way I can say it.

I agree, with your statement, though it is a nice to be able to skim over the bad ones to find a gem. Good point on the pre-vortec, I forgot that the older V6s aren't 190hp, but have ~175hp instead?

hostage

Lieutenant
We might go check it out tomorrow, if it looks good, we will see if we can take it for a test drive. When I called a couple of days ago the guy said the lake had an advisory for boaters for high water levels, when I asked about test driving it. They don't seem all that responsive, though this boat seems to be a better one for the price range that it is. Either things are smaller 3.0L or older. I wonder if I should try pushing them on the test drive or just wait another week or something.

http://literock973.com/news/025520-h...r-cayuga-lake/
http://www.water.weather.gov/ahps2/h...bgm&gage=icyn6

Called them again and they don't want to take it out till the water level goes down, though they said they hope to sell it before then. I guess we will wait another week as it has been posted for about a month.

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral
I agree, with your statement, though it is a nice to be able to skim over the bad ones to find a gem. Good point on the pre-vortec, I forgot that the older V6s aren't 190hp, but have ~175hp instead?

When you finally do find the needle in the haystack of a truly pristine boat accompanied by an upstanding, fastidious owner and you make the deal because you were the first one to get to it, you feel like you beat the system. My sig boat was purchased from the then President of US Bank...not a branch but the entire organization and my boat I just bought this month was from a jet pilot who's work schedule didn't allow him to ride it past the break in period but I had to meet a lot of losers to find the real deal.

Also, not that you are going to go too much older but they also used to measure the HP at the flywheel as well so the prop HP is even lower when you get to older vintages.

hostage

Lieutenant
When you finally do find the needle in the haystack of a truly pristine boat accompanied by an upstanding, fastidious owner and you make the deal because you were the first one to get to it, you feel like you beat the system. My sig boat was purchased from the then President of US Bank...not a branch but the entire organization and my boat I just bought this month was from a jet pilot who's work schedule didn't allow him to ride it past the break in period but I had to meet a lot of losers to find the real deal.

Also, not that you are going to go too much older but they also used to measure the HP at the flywheel as well so the prop HP is even lower when you get to older vintages.

That is very true!

Funny enough I think we might have found the boat: http://rochester.craigslist.org/bod/5080663669.html

Oddly enough I have the EXACT same boat, but one year newer and the cuddy version. It is a dealer, we called the guy and we are going to check it out today, and all goes well, he will allow us to do a test drive tomorrow. So I am hoping I will have a good insight of what to look for in the boat.

Edit: Bah! The guy told me his boss didn't tell him it was sold already ><

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral
Edit: Bah! The guy told me his boss didn't tell him it was sold already ><

I don't know how it works in your state but here in MN, I only buy used boats from private parties because there is no sales tax on the boat only on the trailer (no sales tax on brokerage boats either). I don't even consider dealers unless buying new. Point is if that's how it happens to be in your state, I wouldn't worry about missing out on the Maxum. It's the same way with 4 wheelers and power sports which is nice because those are the things that people get all gung ho about and then they never get the chance to use them and just sell them. Of course when you are looking for something just a couple years old...it's hard to find the one person with the boat you want that didn't take out a loan for it because they are underwater due to depreciation in those first years of the loan.

hostage

Lieutenant
I don't know how it works in your state but here in MN, I only buy used boats from private parties because there is no sales tax on the boat only on the trailer (no sales tax on brokerage boats either). I don't even consider dealers unless buying new. Point is if that's how it happens to be in your state, I wouldn't worry about missing out on the Maxum. It's the same way with 4 wheelers and power sports which is nice because those are the things that people get all gung ho about and then they never get the chance to use them and just sell them. Of course when you are looking for something just a couple years old...it's hard to find the one person with the boat you want that didn't take out a loan for it because they are underwater due to depreciation in those first years of the loan.

Yeah, up here you pay taxes on the boat, when you register it :(

I don't care who I deal with as long as they have a good boat for the right price. Though if a dealer does have negative reviews, which some have, I stay clear of.

They do have a sea ray that is 2 years older, but a $1,500 more expensive: http://marksleisuretimemarine.boatplace.net/1997-sea-ray-185-NY-psi29939

IMHO I think the Maxum is a better boat as I own one and the SeaRays of that era have not impressed me. No fiber glass liner in cockpit, no snap in carpet, same power plant, I don't see any advantage as they are made by the same parent company.

hostage

Lieutenant
They dropped this one down to 6900 http://syracuse.craigslist.org/bod/5056301670.html

Edit: Called them and they said there is a finger size hole in one of the bellows ><

I asked her to take a picture of the bellows as if it is just the exaust bellows, then I am not as worried, though if it is on a different one, then I will be worried.

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral
Yeah, up here you pay taxes on the boat, when you register it :(

I don't care who I deal with as long as they have a good boat for the right price. Though if a dealer does have negative reviews, which some have, I stay clear of.

They do have a sea ray that is 2 years older, but a $1,500 more expensive: http://marksleisuretimemarine.boatplace.net/1997-sea-ray-185-NY-psi29939

IMHO I think the Maxum is a better boat as I own one and the SeaRays of that era have not impressed me. No fiber glass liner in cockpit, no snap in carpet, same power plant, I don't see any advantage as they are made by the same parent company.

Interesting....MN is one notch behind NY tax wise but Power Sports are the only thing I can think of that they don't tax in the owner sold used market (ignoring the ethical implications of the fact the tax was already paid on it when new but ethics and tax discussions of course can never meet). As for the Maxum versus the Sea Ray...in the 90's those small sea rays were closer to being on par with their similarly priced counterparts (sure some brands were doing the glass floor this early) versus the 2000's where their Sport Series of boats are insultingly low-end, low content and low quality for the sticker price when they were new as compared to just about anything out there. Point being, I'd take a 90's small Sea Ray but not a 2000's Sport Series when they . When I see a Sea Ray Sport on the lake, I see someone who bought it used and fixed the disconnect between the new sales price with a presumably low used purchase price, a person who only had one dealer to select from or some other reason they like to overpay for low quality stuff that is marketed well (large Sea Ray cruisers of course are fantastic but that doesn't at all translate to their smaller models). Sea Ray Sport Boats are the Bose of the boat world.
I would take a 2000's Maxum if the deal was right.