What do the dash switches do? 1998 Marada Sport

MikeDobbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is my first power boat, and I got it cheap with many things not working. On the Dash, there are four switches. One works the horn, one works the engine blower, and the other two don't work anything as far as I can tell.

My question is... what SHOULD they be working?

One of the switches is a toggle (meaning just on and off) and the other seems to have two settings. It has a light on the left and right hand side. When you flip the switch to one side, on light goes on. When you flip it to the other side, both lights go on.

I'm hoping that's enough information for you to help me figure out what they should be doing.

I'm thinking one for running lights, and one for the bilge pump? Would the double switch be for running/anchor lights? Or more likely for Auto/manual on the bilge pump.

Thanks!

GM165

Seaman Apprentice
I think you are right, but hard to say which is for lights or the bilge. Either could have two settings. My guess would be the lights, but no way to know not being there.

thumpar

Admiral
The one that is just a toggle should be the bilge pump and the one with 2 settings should be the lights. One way for anchor and the other for running.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well, you could do several things - take a meter and check for voltage at your bilge pump and/or nav lights when moving the selectors. Or, use a voltage sniffer doing the same thing.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
The one that is just a toggle should be the bilge pump and the one with 2 settings should be the lights. One way for anchor and the other for running.

Agree, but the switch for the navigation lights should have three positions, with the center position being 'OFF'.

MikeDobbs, push to one side and both side lights (red and green) and the stern light (white) should go on. Those are your 3 'running lights'. Push to the other side and only the white (anchor) light should come on. From your description, something's wired up funny. Flip it one way and both side lights come on, and the other only one side light comes on? The position that's causing one side light to come on, should fire up the anchor light instead. The other position should light up all 3.

(I know that was a bit repetitive)

Last edited:

MikeDobbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Agree, but the switch for the navigation lights should have three positions, with the center position being 'OFF'.

MikeDobbs, push to one side and both side lights (red and green) and the stern light (white) should go on. Those are your 3 'running lights'. Push to the other side and only the white (anchor) light should come on. From your description, something's wired up funny. Flip it one way and both side lights come on, and the other only one side light comes on? The position that's causing one side light to come on, should fire up the anchor light instead. The other position should light up all 3.

(I know that was a bit repetitive)

Sorry JoLin- I think I was a little unclear in my description. The switch does have three positions: center (off) and left and right.

The switch itself has lights on both sides (not the running lights on the boat, a small power on indicator light built into the switch). When you flip the switch to one side, only the indicator light on that side goes on. However, when you flip it to the other side, both lights (on the switch) turn on.

So I'm thinking that should be the switch for the lights on the boat. The position that only lights one "side" of the switch must be for the anchor light- while the position that lights both "sides" of the switch, would be for the anchor light, plus the left/right red/green lights, which would give me all running lights.

Thanks everyone- I'll report back once I've figured it all out : )

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I misunderstood which lights were lighting up. Didn't realize they were the lights on the switch itself. Yeah, you got it right as to what should power what on that switch.