Looking for a new boat

robinsbd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am currently looking to purchase a cuddy cabin boat. I want a boat to use for day boating, but also have the ability to do some overnight camping. My primary requirement is that I must be able to operate the boat solo including docking, undocking, etc. I would also expect to have 2 - 3 adult passengers from time to time. This requirement leads me to look for smaller cuddy cabin boats. I have had some solo boating experience with a 14' fiberglass fishing boat. So, I know that I am capable of handling a boat on my own. So far, I have been looking at the Sea Ray 215 Express Cruiser. This seems like a very nice boat with a lot of capability.

Here are a couple of listings that have peaked my interest:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1997-Sea-Ray-215-Express-Cruiser-102358427
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-Sea-Ray-215EC-102452116

I am interested in what the experts on iboats.com think about these boats. Are these good quality boats? Is the engine a good model that has a good track record? Can I easily get the engines serviced? Am I on the right track looking at this Sea Ray model? Do you think these are fair prices for the boats I have listed? Also, I am interested if people have suggestions for other makes and models that fit what I want to do.

Thanks for all the help. I don't have a lot of posts on here yet, but I have lurked for a while and really find the different topics on here fascinatating and fun to read.

Brian

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Sea Ray and Grady-White are generally regarded as two of the top brands. The Mercruiser inboard-outdrive is relatively trouble free and parts are easy to get.

A few years ago I was in the same boat--no pun intended. I wanted a relatively small outboard cuddy. I settled on my 21 foot Manatee with a 150 HP engine. It is comfortable for four people and can cruise nicely on the Chesapeake Bay. However, the cuddy is low and small and really only good for a porta-potty and camping/sleeping two but at the time it served my purpose. At 21 feet long the boat is not difficult to launch, handle, and dock by myself. I do, however have an electric winch for getting it back on the trailer. I have winched it on by hand and it is not a lot of fun, even with the double reduction of the power winch.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
The 215 is a great boat and the amount of room in the cuddy defies the size of the boat. Some things that I would look for in a cuddy you plan to overnight in, is a separate head compartment and good ventilation. A camper canvas is also a must IMO. I'd also want dual batteries. Make sure it has good bow access, & an anchor locker.

Take a look at the 220 Larson Cabrio and Crownline 210 CCR. Both boats offer a decent sized cuddy w/separate head compartment.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
then look around. We found the cuddy (21' Sea Ray) wasn't for us so we went to a 34' cruiser for several years which at the end was too much when we picked up the boat in the sig line.

So, first boat? First bigger boat? How many people? Kids?

Lots 'o questions to be able to recommend properly.

All that, go Sea Ray if those two are your final choices

thumpar

Admiral
I would put the SeaRay at the top of the middle range boats. The one with 220hp might not have the power you would expect because of the size. I agree with looking at a Crownline 210CCR (I am a little biased though). I looked at one before I bought my current boat. They are rated for more people that is listed on the SeaRays. I have never looked at a Larson so can't say anything about them.

robinsbd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Some more info about me: I am a 30 year old man. I have no kids, but I do have a few young nephews and nieces that might like to visit. A lot of the time, it would be me solo in the boat. However, I would like to do some camping with people in my family, but never more than 3 or 4 people at a time including myself.

On the engines from the 90s, are they supposed to have hour meters? As far as hours, what should I look out for? Is there a magic number? Is it really costly for repairs on a mercruiser?

Thanks for all the info so far. I really appreciate it.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Hour meters have no standard for installation.

More than two in the cuddy wont work so make sure seats fold down for sleeping. Will be tight but if usually just you then these two boats are prefect for what it sounds like you are looking for.

thumpar

Admiral
Having an hour meter depends on the manufacturer. My 1983 had one and so does my 1996. Some builders don't put them in. There is no magic number. It comes down to maintenance not hours.

southkogs

Staff member
... and on hours: it doesn't work like an odometer. On one hand an engine may have 300 hrs showing on a meter, and the engine may have 300 hrs on it. On the other hand, it may only have been 300 hrs since the meter was installed ;)

Then you add this idea: if the boat's in great shape and has a bunch of hours on it (1,200 or so) it would look to me like someone enjoyed the boat and took good care of it. If the boat is in okay shape (nothing visibly wrong with it) but only has 220 hours on it, makes ya' wonder why it was under used and how often it sat neglected.

Don't over think hours: Look at the condition of the boat. Was it well cared for?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
think of mileage, I can not change the oil, lube the chassis, etc for 50k miles - but I wouldn't want to buy that 50k mile vehicle.