Eating Anchor crow...

QC

Supreme Mariner
Background: I have bashed "Box" type anchors for longer than I have been on this forum. Every test I have seen shows that a typical Danforth style with proper chain, and scope, will significantly out pull the Box type. With that said, where I boat on the Colorado River Lakes (Havasu and Mead primarily) they are sworn by. I would guess that for those who actually spend a buck or two on their boats and equipment, the Box type controls at least 50% of the market. To add to my insistence that chain etc. is the way to go, we often tie in steep walled coves, and cannot get more than 3:1 scope, if that, at times.

Story: So after thinking about this every time I see another boater drop a Box type (a lot of thinking), I was sitting in a cove this last weekend, talking to another guy sitting on a floatee by my boat. Anchors came up in conversation, and I said "ya know, I need another anchor for the stern, and I've finally decided I am going to try a Box type." I swear to all that is good that it wasn't 45 seconds later I see some line snagged on a stump about 4 feet deep. The guy starts to try and grab it with his toes, so I handed him my boat hook and together we dragged it up. You guessed it, a perfectly good Box type anchor with 50 feet of very nice line on it. No chain. The guy says, "well there's your Box anchor" and hands me the line. Voila.

Test: So the next day I go to an exposed cove, with wind blowing on shore. Probably 10 MPH. Mixed sand an weeds and pebble bottom. I dropped the Box (actually a triangle)

productimage1_2915.gif

And I tied off to a cleat amidships for the toughest little, non-scientific, mini-test I could easily come up with. Maybe I gave it 2:1 Scope, so I was pulling on the anchor at 45 degrees up and there were small swells coming off the main lake body making it worse. Again, no chain.

Conclusion: Worked like a dream! So I am convinced now, personal experience, that with low scope as a probable qualifier, these Box anchors are very good for a short stay on a hook. Perfect for where, and how, we boat.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Free always works best. It's the ones you buy that don't work. Hope you passed the floatee a cold beer. :laugh:

oldjeep

Admiral
Haven't seen a triangle one before, but that I my experience as well. They just work and hold better than a Danforth in the type of bottoms that I anchor in.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You guys are making me rethink my purchase of a boat anchor now... How dare you...:facepalm: I have always used a mushroom type anchor(s) for fishing and always wondered why I keep moving around when I wanted to be stationary. In fact the consensus around where I started out fishing, any boat worth their weight had two mushroom anchors with Anchor-Mates. That was the sign of a perfectly rigged out boat. But I never ever could drop anchors and stay put. As the water fluctuated up and down with the normal movement of any water, the anchors would lift and move with the boat... So I guess I still don't know how to truly anchor or use them...

southkogs

Staff member
God's doing your accessory shoppin' for you now ... that's a pretty cool Bosun to have on board :)

I've got real rocky bottoms where I am and it seems easy to get hung up. Would the box style release from that easily, or are they designed to dig into a soft bottom?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You guys are making me rethink my purchase of a boat anchor now... How dare you...:facepalm: I have always used a mushroom type anchor(s) for fishing and always wondered why I keep moving around when I wanted to be stationary. In fact the consensus around where I started out fishing, any boat worth their weight had two mushroom anchors with Anchor-Mates. That was the sign of a perfectly rigged out boat. But I never ever could drop anchors and stay put. As the water fluctuated up and down with the normal movement of any water, the anchors would lift and move with the boat... So I guess I still don't know how to truly anchor or use them...

How about a river anchor, or have you used those too? A true mushroom anchor doesn't seem to hold much. I prefer the river one...
http://www.iboats.com/River-Anchors/dm/cart_id.381067011--session_id.904383567--view_id.238317

oldjeep

Admiral
God's doing your accessory shoppin' for you now ... that's a pretty cool Bosun to have on board :)

I've got real rocky bottoms where I am and it seems easy to get hung up. Would the box style release from that easily, or are they designed to dig into a soft bottom?

For big rocks, I doubt the box anchor would hold. needs something it can grab, sand, muck, weeds, pebble bottom.

64osby

Admiral
I use a mushroom for the mud, muck and marrow bottom lakes we have around here.

They work for me, kind of like stepping in mud with your hip boots. The suction will hold you in place.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Update. I used it again this weekend three times. For situations that require (or favor) low scope and a quick set and forget, this thing is perfect. I take back every bad word, and disparaging comment, regarding these things. It just plain works. I am very happy, and only pizzed I didn't get one sooner.

With the above noted, I am still convinced by independent test results, that if your life depends on it, a Danforth style, with a boat lengths worth of chain, and 7:1 scope is still the way to go. For a quick lunch hook, or a short scope stern anchor, these things are really good.

For clarity, this is a JAWS Folding Anchor. The original Box anchor is available here: http://www.iboats.com/Box-Anchors/dm/cart_id.766998014--session_id.648671250--view_id.1126889

QC

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, never answered this. I am not sure they were designed for anything, but they seem to work on the combo bottoms we have here. Sand, weeds, rock and pebbles. With that said, I pulled up a big rock with it yesterday. Stayed balanced on the bottom edge of the triangle and made lifting it pretty tough.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
QCs was pretty cheap. :D

I've never used a box or jaw. Does either the 3 sided or 4 sided have an advantage over the other?

southkogs

Staff member
For big rocks, I doubt the box anchor would hold. needs something it can grab, sand, muck, weeds, pebble bottom.
Gotcha'

Sorry, never answered this. I am not sure they were designed for anything, but they seem to work on the combo bottoms we have here. Sand, weeds, rock and pebbles. With that said, I pulled up a big rock with it yesterday. Stayed balanced on the bottom edge of the triangle and made lifting it pretty tough.
Thanks.

Gio nanci

Recruit
I just saw this article and last memorial weekend I believe memorial 2014 I tied a triangle box anchor off in California cove the cove down by havasu springs with the good ole american flag in it. And when I returned it was gone. Did u happen to find that anchor in Havasu California cove. It's a rare anchor not many triangle ones around. Looks just like that. It was close to the center island on a white buoy. Maybe the buoy came off idk. Just curious. Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I just saw this article and last memorial weekend I believe memorial 2014 I tied a triangle box anchor off in California cove the cove down by havasu springs with the good ole american flag in it. And when I returned it was gone. Did u happen to find that anchor in Havasu California cove. It's a rare anchor not many triangle ones around. Looks just like that. It was close to the center island on a white buoy. Maybe the buoy came off idk. Just curious. Thanks
LOL

QC

Supreme Mariner
Actually it was in Copper Canyon. Funny coincidence though.

MRS

Commander

Unfortunately I found out the hard way at Havasu if you leave it for to long someone will take it. Sucks but that is the way it is.
QC, was fishing the striper derby two weeks ago there with a friend that lives there, in his boat and we used a box anchor in the middle of the river and it helded. I was suprised looks like I will be in the market for one also but they sure are ugly but they work...

Last edited: