Adding a drain plug

GM165

Seaman Apprentice
My boat has a drain plug below the motor. Kinda awkward to get at and am wondering how hard it would be to add one on the transom? Thinking a threaded tube and brass plug at the bottom of the stern. Is this asking for trouble? I'm used to pulling the plug when I load up and then putting it back in once before launching. Just a habit I had with my old boat and this boat will not be stored under cover for a bit so it will collect rainwater.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you have the room to drill through the transom and mount it, go for it. Just make sure you seal the fitting properly to make sure water doesn't intrude and make a rotted transom in a year or so...

alldodge

Staff member
My boat has a drain plug below the motor. Kinda awkward to get at and am wondering how hard it would be to add one on the transom? Thinking a threaded tube and brass plug at the bottom of the stern. Is this asking for trouble? I'm used to pulling the plug when I load up and then putting it back in once before launching. Just a habit I had with my old boat and this boat will not be stored under cover for a bit so it will collect rainwater.

Guess I'm old but I don't really understand the question. All drain holes are below the motor/outdrive. Got a pic to convey what your discussing?

GM165

Seaman Apprentice
No pic, but it is not on the transom. The drain is on the bottom of the hull, about a foot and a half forward of the stern. So to remove the plug, you have to lift the doghouse and reach under the motor, about halfway along. Just seems a lot harder than pulling a plug on the stern.

Found a picture of a similar boat. About halfway down the page is a picture from the outside.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...614881-77-crestliner-rebuild-finally-underway

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Guess I'm old but I don't really understand the question. All drain holes are below the motor/outdrive. Got a pic to convey what your discussing?

There are a few that are directly below/under the oil pan area,I agree hard to get to. Moving it to the transom is fine. However,the origanal plug might drain any remaining water that the transom plug can't.

alldodge

Staff member
Got it, man that is a bugger, don't see an issue with drilling and putting in a new plug, just seal it real good. 3M 5200 would be my choice and use the 7 day cure, not the 24 hours cure

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I had a little 12 footer Crestliner that had the exact same system, really a poor system, but it was suppose to be a self bailer, never worked out that way, but that is what they told me! As long as you can get it sealed up correctly, you should have no problem putting a drain in the lower portion of the transom to get rid of any water that ends up inside the hull.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I just did it on the boat in my sig. The factory installed plug is 5-6 feet forward of the transom and doesn't drain he bilge when the boat's stored with the bow raised. I bought a bronze assembly and used silicon bronze screws to mount it. Drilled the hole from inside the boat to insure I got it in the right place. I drilled it oversized and put a thick film of epoxy all arounhd the inside of the hole to seal it. Next day I drilled the screw mounting holes, liberally coated everything with 5200 and mounted it. Don't be stingy with the sealant and try to make it 'neat' at install time. You want to make sure that every nook and cranny is overflowing with the stuff. Clean it up later. You can use painter's tape to make a border around the assembly- that'll make cleanup easier.

My .02

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
No pic, but it is not on the transom. The drain is on the bottom of the hull, about a foot and a half forward of the stern. So to remove the plug, you have to lift the doghouse and reach under the motor, about halfway along. Just seems a lot harder than pulling a plug on the stern.

Found a picture of a similar boat. About halfway down the page is a picture from the outside.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...nally-underway

If your boat is aluminum, you don't want any kind of brass, bronze or copper in it... highly corrosive to aluminum!

I suggest one of these instead:
http://www.iboats.com/Beckson-1-Drai...iew_id.1074911

http://www.thmarine.com/products/Aeration-and-Plumbing/Drain-Fittings/Transom-Drain-Plugs/Drain-Plug

Last edited:

GM165

Seaman Apprentice
That look perfect.

Thanks.

Edit: Holy crap. $5.59 USD on Amazon.com, not shipping into Canada, and $48.62 Cdn on amazon.ca.

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
The first link was to the iboats store here on the forum, but I don't know how much they will charge to ship into Ca.

You should be able to find them somewhere on your side of the border, maybe a local marine dealer.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I had a little 12 footer Crestliner that had the exact same system, really a poor system, but it was suppose to be a self bailer, never worked out that way, but that is what they told me! As long as you can get it sealed up correctly, you should have no problem putting a drain in the lower portion of the transom to get rid of any water that ends up inside the hull.

I had a 14' Crestliner. I unscrewed the plug while underway and and it sucked the water out. Yep, leaky rivets.....

GM165

Seaman Apprentice
The first link was to the iboats store here on the forum, but I don't know how much they will charge to ship into Ca.

$26.11 for shipping, duties and taxes for a $3.85 part.

There are days I love being Canadian......