prop puller

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there a universal prop puller that will work for all props. I'm talking about inboard boat engines with straight shafts. Larger boats about 30' and up. Tapered shafts that need to be pulled. I've seen pullers but each one is for a different shaft size. Is there one that will work for 90 percent of the boats?

alldodge

Staff member
Is there a universal prop puller that will work for all props. I'm talking about inboard boat engines with straight shafts. Larger boats about 30' and up. Tapered shafts that need to be pulled. I've seen pullers but each one is for a different shaft size. Is there one that will work for 90 percent of the boats?

Not that I'm aware of. If you pick up one to do larger shafts you could make up some U-shaped pieces to put inside the larger clamp to reduce the size for smaller shafts

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class
What about bigger then 1 1/4 shaft? I think the prop I took off today was on a 2" shaft. I tapped if off with a hammer. The nut was 2 1/2"

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
there's no such thing as one size fits all... heck some prop shafts are bigger than your waste....

Obviously you aren't working on those but there HAS to be a break ... I would expect that 2-3 pullers should cover most recreational boats but it just isn't gonna happen with one tool.

there is a reason I don't use my 3/4" ratchet with 3 adapters to turn a 1/4" socket.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yup, 3/4 to 1/2 to 3/8 to 1/4 inch, fortunately, didn't have to put much pressure on it, or it would have broke things!

You should have seen some of the nutty stuff we jerry rigged when I was in the Army and things broke in the field!

Last edited:

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for all the info. What kind of wrench do you recommend for the prop nut?