Which type/brand of "tail fin" or hydrofoil stabilizer?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If a fin is in your future, go with a DoelFin. If you don't like it, you have 4 holes in the lower unit. So what!

Don't buy a clip-on fin - I've seen where they can fall off.

Tabs will require drilling a whole bunch of holes in your transom. Better read the instructions and seal the holes up well.

We have seven boats in the family - all but one have DoelFins. The one that doesn't need it is a well designed antique wooden boat that simply doesn't need it.

My DoelFin is the best $39 I ever spent.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
the real question is does he pull with a Dodge or not, because that's the only vehicle to pull a boat with...

:behindsofa:

Try cheap first with a fin then go with tabs later if you want. A fin is way less, but they do way less - but will do what you are asking. And 4 holes is nothing to worry about.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Another one of these threads.

There are so many misconceptions floating around about fins, foils, or whatever you want to call them that I don't know how a newbie could make a good decision about one.

First off, is what they are designed to do, the real purpose is to stop the prop from sucking air from the surface during hard acceleration, that's it, other uses are sort off label, just like how many medications are used, they may work for other things in some way, but it may not be the best way to get the job done. People always say if they were of any value outboards would come stock with them, well, they do, The AV plate is designed to do the exact same thing, you are just making it bigger by using a fin. It's no different than extending the hull with trimm tabs.

They can work well if needed on an outboard because by using a fin (I don't like the name "foil" because that part of the shape has little to do with how it works, it's really just marketing) you may be able to raise the motor higher and not have it ventilate. The benefits of this are reduced drag from the lower unit which may improve top speed and MPG. It can also reduce bow rise because when the motor is mounted higher it has less leverage on the transom.

These are only possible benefits, they only come into play if the boat and motor combination needs this type of help, on some boats they are of no value.

At no time did I say the benefit comes from having the fin drag in the water at speed, it should be totally out of the water when on plane, having it dragging in the water at speed is where all the negative comments come from. A person typically just bolts one on and heads to the water thinking every problem he ever had will be solved, only to find that it handles poorly and top speed has been reduced. This person has now decided that this tool is useless, and beyond that possibly a safety hazard.

There is work involved in finding out if a fin will help at all on any boat, you will need to raise and lower the motor, plus possibly change props to get the best possible results, and even then it may not help, it's only a possibility that it may.

This testing can easily be done with an OB, but with an IO there are no adjustments that can be made, so what happens when you bolt it on is what you get, it will most likely be dragging in the water at speed and possibly create all kinds of issues. Some may find that the negatives aren't that bad, or not that noticeable, and that the benefits are good enough that they really like it, the next guy may use his boat differently and hate it though.

Another thing to look at is how many different shapes and designs are available, one may work great, but another design may be terrible, and this will depend on the exact boat, motor, prop, plus how the owner uses the boat.

So it comes down to whether the boat owner finds the fin to be of any value in how he plans to use the boat, not whether someone that doesn't understand the tool deciding that they are evil and should never be used in any circumstance.

I almost forgot to say that for the problems most boat owners want to solve trim tabs are more likely to be the right tool, plus there is almost no down side to tabs.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Sure tabs are a bandaid for an underpowered boat

On the same theory an engine is a bandaid for an unpowered boat

A Bimini is a bandaid for a boat without a hard top

A fan is a bandaid for a boat without A/C

And a boat is a bandaid for someone who can't swim 40 mph with several passengers and a skier....

Tabs (and prop he has already addressed) are ABSOLUTELY the best option to make the boat plane and perform better.

I have had tabs and fins on many boats and have consistently (after testing) removed the fins and tossed em, with one exception which was a small underpowered aluminum boat with tiller steering... The thing barely planed and the fin worked well enough for my needs with it. I have no doubt that tabs would have worked better but that was over 25 years ago... Smart tabs didn't exist (pretty sure) and as a teenager I could barely afford $10 to fill the gas tank (those were the days) so they wouldn't have been an option... Heck the fin was only possible because I found it at a garage sale for a buck or two.

And I wonder how many people here wear glasses.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
"I would have to agree with Smoke on this one. I put Smart Tabs on my old Tahoe and they changed the boat in a good way."

​I don't doubt that for a second. But don't confuse you smart tabs with what's on my boat. I know they kind of look the same but they serve two completely different purposes.

​I never said anything about Smart Tabs because I have zero experience with them. I've owned 3 boats with hydraulic trim tabs so I have a little experience with what they can and cannot do..

Again, getting back the original question, a set of hydraulic trim tabs to improve hole shot is not what I would recommend.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the SE 300 on my 19 foot reniell. It was well worth to $40 it cost. Been on there for 10 years now.

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class
To the original poster. Years ago I had installed Doel fins on a couple boats I had owned. The sole purpose was to get the bow down and slower planning speeds. One boat was a Winner 1950 Escape Cuddy. It would come off of plane at around 21 mph. After I installed the fin, I could stay on plane at about 16 mph, which is what my kids needed for kneeboarding ( and I could see out of the boat lol ). The fin worked great! I doubt you will be disappointed. I did lose a few mph on top speed but, to me, that really didn't matter. Let us know what you end up doing and whatever it is, I hope it works for you.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
My vote is with the smart tabs. The fin things might be ok on your boat but I have no way of knowing for sure... and no my boat doesn't suffer from lack of power or need a new prop, the 3 blade 23"p black diamond works great. Stab the throttle and you better be hanging on. She's just a bit stern heavy with all the iron back there so tabs were a way of correcting that giving more lift at lower speed so there's hardly any bow rise at all when jumping up out of the hole. The thought of adjustable tabs does sound intriguing though after reading about them more. The fin things not so much.

nlain

Commander
Smart Tab user here, they are well worth the money and do everything they are advertised to do. I recommend the Smart Tabs. I had a fin on one boat, never did like what it did to the handling of the boat, finally took it off and did with out. Current boat has Smart Tabs and I am very satisfied with them.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
To answer the original post: It does not matter if the foil is aluminum or plastic from a functional point of view. Plastic is cheaper. usually. The brand I've used is a Stingray and it provided a great deal of lift. Low speed idle was faster. Planing speed was slower. Bow rise was dramatically reduced and the boat was much safer to travel through severe weather as a result. It was an exceptional $50 purchase. Other brands may be just as good or better but I know some are not as effective. Mine was on for a decade and had the added benefit of being a good step to help climb ing the back of my boat.
In response to the 'Tab' comments: My first preference would be to have hydraulic adjustable tabs on the boat. They provide many advantages as you can adjust and correct the attitude of the hull in many situations. This in unquestionably the best solution. It is also the most expensive. So make your decisions based on the value for the money you perceive. You can actually run both, but it is probably not necessary. Self adjusting tabs are less expensive than adjustable ones and don't provide you with as much control over how your boat sits but are fine. They are also more expensive than foils. It's all a cost factor in deciding.
My current boat has Bennett adjustable tabs from the manufacturer. It is important for safe operation of a boat that you can control how the boat sits. If you are in conditions where you do not feel comfortable with how your boat is operating, then fix it.

rhino_160

Seaman
We'll certainly not trying to start a war about tabs v. Hydrofoil v. Anything lol. I appreciated the input. I spoke with a prop guy and gave him my details. His suggestion is a 4-blade prop over the current 3 blade to drop from the current 19 pitch to either a 15 or 17 (gotta find out what my RPMS are running at WOT with a load of people). Being that I will usually have 6 adults on the boat he feels the drop in pitch will significantly help me get out of the hole. This sound fairly accurate? Will address the idea of the hydrofoil fin most likely after the prop upgrade if I am still having issues

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There are normally several ways to attack a problem like this, you never know exactly what will work best until you start trying stuff.

If you talk to a prop guy he'll give a prop solution, a trim tab guy will give a trim tab solution, and so on. They're all correct in saying their product can help, but it's normally a combination of things that gives the best result.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
We'll certainly not trying to start a war about tabs v. Hydrofoil v. Anything lol. I appreciated the input. I spoke with a prop guy and gave him my details. His suggestion is a 4-blade prop over the current 3 blade to drop from the current 19 pitch to either a 15 or 17 (gotta find out what my RPMS are running at WOT with a load of people). Being that I will usually have 6 adults on the boat he feels the drop in pitch will significantly help me get out of the hole. This sound fairly accurate? Will address the idea of the hydrofoil fin most likely after the prop upgrade if I am still having issues

My son's cuddy is stern heavy and had all of the usual bow rise problems. We put on a DoelFin and problem solved. Over winter he was reading about props and ended up talking in great detail with the Tech Svc guy at one of the prop manufacturers. Based on his recommendations he bought a 4 blade SS prop. It certainly DID give better stern lift (and also solve the problem), but at the disadvantage of lower top end. The Doelfin gave a higher top end.

So we tried one vs. the other. He ended up keeping both, for the best ride and handling. But then again he's not a speed freak, so top end was not a #1 criteria.

$39 Fin vs. $330 prop. Lots of sperimenting to do...

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
rhino, many prop shops will let you demo a prop and exchange it for another if you have not damaged it. The prop will help with acceleration and speed control near your planing speed. Lower pitch gives you a torque multiplier effect to give you more useable power down low and the 4 blade can give you more 'push' as there is more surface area to use that power. This can help with how good the boat is for your purposes.
The foil, tabs, or a large helium balloon will make a different kind of difference. The trick is finding the right combination. Good luck.
(Oh, and the large balloon will not be good at any planing speed so don't put much of your effort on that one)