Opinion on Bowrider Purchase

WhataBunch

Cadet
I'm in the market for a used bowrider in the $7000-$8000 range for my family. I've come across several that are interesting and would like some input as far as quality and what to look for. I was raised on the lake and spent many hours in boats but that's been years ago and I'm just not sure about the quality of different manufacturers. I intend to check all service history before laying down any cash and really want to cull the lesser quality to keep from dragging my family all over creation looking at different boats. I'm a big guy and want something that will pull me on a slalom ski but still have decent fuel economy. I would appreciate any honest opinions on the following:

1997 Cobia 228 Sunsport with a 5.7 coupled with a mercruiser, The seller indicates that its been well serviced.

1999 Four Winns Horizon 190 with a 4.3 Volvo/Penta. The seller indicates that its been well serviced.

1999 Bayliner Capri with a 5.0 coupled with a mercruiser. The seller indicates that its been well serviced.

1996 Regal Valanti 202SE with a 4.3 mercruiser. The seller indicates that its been well serviced.

1995 Sea Ray 185 with 4.3 mercrusier. The seller indicates that its been well serviced.

1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 2000SS with a 5.7 coupled with a mercruiser. Not sure about service history on this one.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm in the market for a used bowrider in the $7000-$8000 range for my family. I've come across several that are interesting and would like some input as far as quality and what to look for. I was raised on the lake and spent many hours in boats but that's been years ago and I'm just not sure about the quality of different manufacturers. I intend to check all service history before laying down any cash and really want to cull the lesser quality to keep from dragging my family all over creation looking at different boats. I'm a big guy and want something that will pull me on a slalom ski but still have decent fuel economy. I would appreciate any honest opinions on the following:

1997 Cobia 228 Sunsport with a 5.7 coupled with a mercruiser, The seller indicates that its been well serviced.

1999 Four Winns Horizon 190 with a 4.3 Volvo/Penta. The seller indicates that its been well serviced.

1999 Bayliner Capri with a 5.0 coupled with a mercruiser. The seller indicates that its been well serviced.

1996 Regal Valanti 202SE with a 4.3 mercruiser. The seller indicates that its been well serviced.

1995 Sea Ray 185 with 4.3 mercrusier. The seller indicates that its been well serviced.

1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 2000SS with a 5.7 coupled with a mercruiser. Not sure about service history on this one.

:welcome: to iboats

Buying a boat should be just like buying a car, no matter what is said about it, do not believe it. Get into the boat or find someone which knows boats to look it over. Good luck

thumpar

Admiral
It is more about condition. I would skip on the Bayliner. The 5.7l boats would be my pick if they check out.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I too, would pass on the bayliner. My friend has a 2012 and the cheaper build characteristics are obvious and they use a LOT of wood. That's not too say that it can't be taken care of and be a good boat, but I would put other manufacturers before a Bayliner.
I would go with the one which has a floor plan that meets your expectations, that has service records to show proper maintenance has been done, and low hours.

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If all were in top condition my pick would be the Cobia.

WhataBunch

Cadet
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will have to do my due diligence before buying by checking the service records and taking them out for a ride.

cptrick3, I really like the layout of the Cobia and it has the 5.7 which I also like but I couldn't find any real reviews on Cobia bowriders so I'm not sure what to make of it. I take it you feel its a reliable builder. What would make it your choice?

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
If you're a big guy and all friends and passengers are of the same stature, I would look at the two 5.7 boats. I myself wouldn't rule out the Bayliner, but any choice would have to be in great shape and the layout would need to be as you want. Most Bayliner Capri boats have back to back seating which I don't like.

What about induction and drive type? Are they all carbed with alpha drives? EFI and bravo drive would raise any of the v8 boats to the top of my list.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
For your purposes, something that is at least 20 feet and has V8 power are the baseline. After that condition and maintenance will be deciding factors.

WhataBunch

Cadet
We ended up buying a Ebbtide 210 with a 5.0 EFI. We are very happy with it and appreciate the feedback you offered.