1985 Bayliner Ciera 2750, (new to me), Volvo/Penta 260, 5.7 350 motor.

Britner

Seaman
Ayuh all,
I am now the proud owner of a 1985 Ciera 2750, my first Bayliner. We have owned 2 Sea Ray Seville's, 21' & 22' buddy cabins, and decided to go bigger! We mainly cruise and relax on the many lakes near to where we live, such as Flathead MT Whitefish MT, Ponderray ID, Coeur D'Alene ID and some of the smaller lakes here in Canada. I have a little experience working on the Mercruiser/GMC Inboard/outboard setups, nothing with the Volvo/Penta as yet. I have to admit to being very green with this whole boat/motor setup, hence the reason for me cruising this forum.

This boat I have does need some work. I got it for a decent price, knowing that I will have to put some $$$$ in. Some cosmetics are required such as cleaning, carpet fixing, re-upholstering etc, as well as a new water heater and other small things. As far as I can tell the motor and hull seems straight. I will be changing all oils/fluids, 2 x batteries (there is space for 3) and have already changed the impeller on the water pump.

Now, where can I find out how half of my boat stuff works? I have the PDF owners manual which gives me ideas on things, but does not seem to make sense to me. The last owner didn't really know how stuff worked as he inherited it from his late dad. It was still winterized from 2013/14 winter. A few things I can't fathom yet-
- how to operate the sump pump for shower, (shower base filled up as I was cleaning it)
- how the head operates,
- how to fill water tank,
- how to empty waste etc.

Other than that it seems straight forward. Any advice on the above or other tips would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks,

Andy.

Attachments

• photo221655.jpg
    photo221655.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 5
  • photo221656.jpg
    photo221656.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 5
  • photo221657.jpg
    photo221657.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 6
  • photo221658.jpg
    photo221658.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 6
  • photo221659.jpg
    photo221659.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 6
  • photo221660.jpg
    photo221660.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 6
  • photo221661.jpg
    photo221661.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 6
  • photo221662.jpg
    photo221662.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 6
  • photo221663.jpg
    photo221663.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 6
  • photo221664.jpg
    photo221664.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 6

Britner

Seaman
Thanks Rick,
I posted there earlier with no response, then posted here to see how it goes.
Thanks again.

RGrew176

Commander
Thanks Rick,
I posted there earlier with no response, then posted here to see how it goes.
Thanks again.

Well, shame on them. Hopefully someone will respond with the answers you are seeking.

Britner

Seaman
I have had a couple of great responses from he baylinerownersclub.org forum. Turns out that I have a 1985 2550 Ciera Designers Edition! Still, any user tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Congratulations on your new (to you) craft. I have a 1998 Wellcraft 240 SE, (25 ft express cruiser, similar to your boat). It has many similarities, so I will try to help with your questions.

Determine if you have a remote wastewater holding tank (usually in the engine room) that is sucked out, or if you have a small holding under the toilet that you remove and dump in a holding tank dump station. Look for a deck plate that may be labeled waste. If you have that, you remove the waste by going to a pump-out station (often at marinas/gas docks) and sucking the sh*t out. There are various chemicals you can put in the tank to help keep it from getting too nasty. There is marine toilet paper, but I try to get the ladies to go easy on using it (if at all? take a swim)

You may also have a freshwater tank in the engine room that is filled through a deck plate labeled water. Usually there is a pump that pressurizes the fresh water system when you want to use it. Although I "sanitize" the fresh water system every year, we do not drink that water. We carry on drinking water and use the on-board system for rinsing, washing, etc.

Familiarize yourself with the electrical system, using shore power, AC/DC, battery charging.

Britner

Seaman
Thanks a lot for your help garbage guy. I see on the specs sheet that it does have both a holding tank and freshwater tank. I am going to see how these things work before hastling people on these forums :)

Thanks again.

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Prior to my Chap I had a 1994 Bayliner 2850 and have been on the Bayliner Owners Club forum for more than 10 years. They are really a great bunch of guys, just not as many members as here. I'm sure given time they will answer all your questions. With that said I do like this forum better.

bluecollerboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Helł, Britner
I had a 1985 ciera 2350 on mine there was a chrome deck plate(about an inch and a half to two inches in diameter) on the gunnel you step over to get on the boat that was marked water. You need a deck plate key to open it then just fill with a hose. For the shower sump there should be a breaker on the main electrical panel as well as a switch somewhere in the bathroom. As for the toilet there is a through hull fitting with a valve in the engine compartment. Open the through hull to let water into the toilet, at the toilet there will be a knob that says something like empty and flush. Select flush with the through hull open and pump the handle it will let seawater in and flush the toilet to the tank in the engine compartment. Remember to pump the handle a couple of extra times after the waste is gone( you have to get it all the way back to the tank). Emptying the waste tank: there is one of two ways. 1 there is a chrome deck plate on the gunnel the exact Same as the one I spoke about earlier marked water the only difference is this one will be marked waste. Unscrew it and have your marina or harbor master suck it out. There also may be a macerater hooked up to it. That is a pump that grinds up the waste and pumps it overboard. If you go in the engine compartment and find the tanks usually white plastic and follow the hose off the top of it to the hull you will find the deck plates I am talking about. Let me know if you need any other info. Good luck with the new boat.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Ponderray ID. That would actually be Lake Pend Oreille :)
If i ever see ya out there ill be sure to say HI
It's my main place to boat and fish. Boat ramp is 10 minutes from my house!

Britner

Seaman
Helł, Britner
I had a 1985 ciera 2350 on mine there was a chrome deck plate(about an inch and a half to two inches in diameter) on the gunnel you step over to get on the boat that was marked water. You need a deck plate key to open it then just fill with a hose. For the shower sump there should be a breaker on the main electrical panel as well as a switch somewhere in the bathroom. As for the toilet there is a through hull fitting with a valve in the engine compartment. Open the through hull to let water into the toilet, at the toilet there will be a knob that says something like empty and flush. Select flush with the through hull open and pump the handle it will let seawater in and flush the toilet to the tank in the engine compartment. Remember to pump the handle a couple of extra times after the waste is gone( you have to get it all the way back to the tank). Emptying the waste tank: there is one of two ways. 1 there is a chrome deck plate on the gunnel the exact Same as the one I spoke about earlier marked water the only difference is this one will be marked waste. Unscrew it and have your marina or harbor master suck it out. There also may be a macerater hooked up to it. That is a pump that grinds up the waste and pumps it overboard. If you go in the engine compartment and find the tanks usually white plastic and follow the hose off the top of it to the hull you will find the deck plates I am talking about. Let me know if you need any other info. Good luck with the new boat.
Thanks very much for that. I hope to spend the weekend tinkering with the boat.
Andy

Britner

Seaman
Ponderray ID. That would actually be Lake Pend Oreille :)
If i ever see ya out there ill be sure to say HI
It's my main place to boat and fish. Boat ramp is 10 minutes from my house!

That whole region is just amazing, you are so lucky! We actually just got back last night from camping in our trailer at Riley Creek. Was great, until HEAVY rain and thunder came in. still fun though. We do visit Sandpoint and that area quite a lot. We hope to camp on our boat somewhere around there too. Any little hidden gems that you want to share would be much appreciated ; ) We don't fish right now, just cruise and relax, with a little tubing for the kids thrown in.

You never know, we may just bump in to each other out there!

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Head over to the Green Monarchs from Johnson Creek and go south. Just amazing scenery and very few houses.
Johnson creek is the best place on the lake but i think your boat is to big to launch or go into.
From hope boat launch turn left till you hit the Monarchs. There are usually mooring buoys set up for any one to use free.

shrew

Lieutenant
Wow that brings me back!!! My parents had basically the same year, make, model when I was in my late teens.

crosnest

Cadet
I just purchased the same exact boat!! :) :) let me know if you see this I have done questions

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I don't have a pump out ring?

Yeah, you do. There should be a few deck fittings on the boat... for Gasoline in, fresh water in (for galley and head sinks and shower) and waste out. They should be labeled.

Be careful removing the cap for the waste pumpout. It's the only one that doesn't have a chain or cable attached to keep it from falling in the water. The pumpout station's hose and adapter need to make a tight seal on the fitting and a retaining chain/cable would get in the way.

Shower sump - it's a 'box' with a small bilge pump mounted in it that pumps shower water outside the boat via a through-hull. If there's no switch in the head to activate it (like my Carver), that means it has a float switch that's supposed to turn it on when the box fills (like my previous Four Winns). Finding and accessing the sump will probably be your biggest challenge. My 27' Four Winns had it under a deck hatch, under the carpet runner right next to the head. I haven't located the one on my Carver yet (haven't had a problem) but I think it's under the stairs leading from the cockpit to the cabin. Once you've found and uncovered it, its operation will be obvious.

The head (toilet) - can't tell for sure, but looks like a Jabsco manual flush. Best bet is to go the the manufacturer's site and dig up a manual. It's pretty strightforward, but yours looks a bit different from the one that was in my Four Winns, probably because it's an older model. Mine had a lever on the pump- switch it to one side and the pump pulled in flush water and pushed out waste at the same time, Flip it the other way and it only pumped out, to empty the bowl after you're done flushing.

Hope some ot this helps. Best of luck!

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Is this motor ok for salt water?

Loaded question. Any motor is okay for salt, but not forever. Unless it fails for some other reason, salt water will eventually eat through it, though that takes many, many years. There's maintenance that has to be performed on a regular basis, though- like replacing exhaust manifolds and risers. Salt will kill them within about 10 years, and if you don't replace them before they fail, the cylinders will fill with water and your engine will be a goner.

(Wait- didn't you say you boat on lakes? If you're talking about occasional salt water use, you have no worries. Flush it all out with fresh as soon as you can after you use it in salt)

Last edited: