leaking wooden boat

vg569

Cadet
I built a wooden boat (ELLEN from Brooks Designs). It has a small leak at the junction of the centerboard housing with the hull. I have tried to stop it with fiberglas expoxy. This reduced it but didn't stop it completely. Is there a product I can brush or spray into the centerboard hole and onto the sides of the housing that can seal this?

robert graham

Admiral
Either put several gallons of water in the boat and/or put the boat in the water so the wood can swell and hopefully seal the leaks...that's what seals wood boats...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You could always apply a coat of polyester resin and CSM fiberglass clothe and it will be sealed... And for the most part it will not show either. The poly turns the fiberglass clothe clear... IDK :noidea:

vg569

Cadet
All advice much appreciated. The problem is Im not exactly sure where the water is getting in. That's why I'm looking for something to kind of lightly coat the whole inside of the centerboard housing in the hope of sealing wherever the tiny leak is.

Ned L

Commander
She looks like a cute little design. I would be glad to help you out, unfortunately I am not familiar with how her centerboard trunk is put together.
Unfortunately this is not the best forum for your problem. I would
Recommend finding the problem and fixing it correctly and not just gobbing stuff on. Being glued plywood lapstrake she will most likely not swell up as dimensional lumber will.
I guess I would recommend asking on the WBF (Wooden boat forum) where you may well find someone familiar with the details of her centerboard trunk construction.