Floor Covering

Golfer50

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Everyone,
First time boat owner, and newbie to this site. I recently bought a 1973 Starcraft Nova, and the interior is in excellent condition, but I'd like to replace the carpet eventually as I have a small tear and fading in the back. It is the astro turf type material, and I'm trying to figure out where to get it in the red color. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a pick of the back of the boat, along with one of the front. You can see the back is worn and faded.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard golfer50... Nice having you join us here at iboats...

If you are going to replace the flooring, why not look at marine carpet and do the entire boat? There are tons of places to buy some really nice soft marine carpet that will feel good to your feet (bare feet too) and look good installed as well. And there are different weights and colors as well to chose from. Astroturf isn't used much anymore that I can see. But that is just my opinion...

robert graham

Admiral
A non-woven polypropylene indoor/outdoor carpet will look and perform well....and dry quickly!.....Check Home Depot or Lowes......bear in mind that this carpet may need replacement every 3 or 4 years depending on sunlight/UV exposure.....but it's fairly inexpensive also...

Golfer50

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you GM280, and thank you both for the info. My concern with the marine carpet would be staining where I plan on fishing quite a bit.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thank you GM280, and thank you both for the info. My concern with the marine carpet would be staining where I plan on fishing quite a bit.

Golfer, todays marine carpet is manufactured from the exact same materials that Astroturf was but with different capabilities. So the staining issues will not be any more problematic then Astroturf and can be rinsed off pretty nicely. It is also resistant to mold and rot being synthetic... Not trying to sell you anything, just stating info...

southkogs

Staff member
Take a look at THIS stuff too. My boat was originally done with a vinyl floor and while it's still hanging in there, I really like it. I can only guess the sea deck stuff'll beat the vinyl even.

oldjeep

Admiral
If you are planning on getting fish guts in it then why not just an epoxy coating on the floor. Seadeck is great, but likely cost more than the rest of that boat.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
If putting carpet back down I would suggest using 16oz marine carpet. A number of years ago I put new carpet down in a Lund. It was only 14oz marine carpet from a competitor of iboats but it has held up very well. Wears well, resists staining and dries pretty quickly if left uncovered to dry. Was also fairly easy to install.

oldjeep

Admiral
If you are planning on getting fish guts in it then why not just an epoxy coating on the floor. Seadeck is great, but likely cost more than the rest of that boat.

Guess I should have looked at the link. SeaDek sells some inexpensive stuff. Their precut teak look kit for my boat is around $3K

Golfer50

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you all for the great information. Now it's a matter of figuring out what will fit my needs the best. Right now I'm leaning towards the marine carpet.