77 sea ray or 79 searay

Grumpie

Seaman Apprentice
Okay guys , how is everyone today, good I hope because I have a dilemma. I have a 77 sea ray cuddy 200. It is turned into way more work then I've hoped for. I wanted a boat done by end of June. If you like at my restoration page I am not sure if that is possible or realistic. My question is I still want to work on the cuddly but I found a 79 Searay, all good interior, really clean , the steering is a little loose about two inches of play, and the port side manifold has a crack in it where you bolt it down. It is a mericruiser. Engine 228. The cuddly is a moc 289 or 305 I believe? I may be messing the numbers up a little on the omc.

The open bow seaway had one little soft spot at the very back of the bulkhead about the stern end of the gas tank. It looks like there is a square cutout on l brackets above the gas tank. I guess I'm not sure if I should get the open bow and have it ready by the June time table but keep working on the cuddy on a more realistic time table? I was told the engine on the open bow hasn't been run in two years but the owner used to baby this boat and it's really clean even the engine are. Any suggestions, or how hard or how much it is to replace a port side manifold?

Just trying to have fun with my daughters-before they go to college.

Thanks

southkogs

Staff member
Hi Grumpie:

Do you know if the outdrive works on the '77? You may want to back off of that one until you know if the outdrive works - the OMC Stringer stern drive is on oldie. You can keep 'em going, but it can be a pain at times.

What's your budget on getting a lake ready boat?

Grumpie

Seaman Apprentice
The lake boat is for sale for 750, looks real nice inside. But he says there's a crack on one of the bolt holes on the port side manifold? I'm scared that maybe something else could be wrong too or should I even be worried about it?

The outdrive ran with a hose in it and turned but that's all I know.

Grumpie

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Theis is theone I was thinking about buying, but not sure?

Attachments

• photo221640.jpg
    photo221640.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221641.jpg
    photo221641.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
$750 is way low for a runnin' boat. There's something amiss there. Can you take it for a ride before you buy?

Have you looked at THIS topic?