Buying 05 Bayliner Classic 195 without test drive

wiredgizmo

Recruit
Hello,
Just registered, I've been researching a bit and just started to look into buying my first boat. I saw a potential deal. An 05 Bayliner Classic 195, 3.0 engine, 240 hours, includes trailer, for $7000 (seller asked for $8500 but accepted this offer right away). Boat looks to be in good condition in photos, I have not looked at it in person yet. It looks like a good deal to me after checking out other similar boats and NADA. It seems similar boats are around $11-12k (I might be wrong here).

The problem. The seller will not do a test drive because he does not have time. There's a lake roughly 5-10 miles from where the boat is located. He does agree to have a mechanic come check it out however.

So should I go ahead and look further into this boat and have a mechanic come have a look it? Is it too fishy that the seller will not do a test drive with a lake somewhat nearby? Is it normal to not do test drives for boats since it is more of a hassle than cars?

Any help appreciated!!
Thank you

Last edited:

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
You should never begin to buy a boat you cannot check out on the water. If the seller has no time to do the sale right, go find another boat.

And if it runs out okay, a real marine mechanic to check out the compression on the engine and do an engine analysis. He should also drain the lower unit lube looking for metal shavings and water intrusion. Then, he would do a vacuum and pressure test on the lower unit to make sure the seals are good. He would also checkout the bellows on the driveshaft, exhaust and cables to make sure they're good. These are not checks a roving home mechanic can do. You want someone that's a real marine mechanic.

The biggest problem with I/O engines is owners not properly winterizing the motors. They can run "good" when in reality the blocks have cracked from freezing water. And you can drop $300 putting seals on an outdrive. Bellows are also a pretty expensive fix and a general pain in the rear end to replace..

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My rule of thumb for a boat is, if it's over a grand it's going in the water before you get my check. Selling a boat is a pain, but a 9 years old vessel can have some serious issues lurking below, I'd want to have it thoroughly inspected and that includes a drive, Always Keep in mind it is To the benefit of the seller for you to know as little as possible about the vessel before you purchase it, a mechanic can tell you it runs and idles on muffs he can't tell you it drags hard to the left at wot because the foam is water logged and it needs 5-10 k in structural renovations before you put your family on it. And at 6k less than other boats like it near you I'd suspect that it was rotten and worth only the used motor drive and transom assembly.

oldjeep

Admiral
Hello,
Just registered, I've been researching a bit and just started to look into buying my first boat. I saw a potential deal. An 05 Bayliner Classic 195, 3.0 engine, 240 hours, includes trailer, for $7000 (seller asked for $8500 but accepted this offer right away). Boat looks to be in good condition in photos, I have not looked at it in person yet. It looks like a good deal to me after checking out other similar boats and NADA. It seems similar boats are around $11-12k (I might be wrong here).

The problem. The seller will not do a test drive because he does not have time. There's a lake roughly 5-10 miles from where the boat is located. He does agree to have a mechanic come check it out however.

So should I go ahead and look further into this boat and have a mechanic come have a look it? Is it too fishy that the seller will not do a test drive with a lake somewhat nearby? Is it normal to not do test drives for boats since it is more of a hassle than cars?

Any help appreciated!!
Thank you

I just sold that exact same boat for $9500 last year. 05 Classic with a tower on it.

If he refuses to do a test drive as a final condition of sale then I would just walk. Go have a look at it decide if you want it and then tell him you will buy it contingent on a test drive. Make sure you can actually purchase it after the test drive if you make that deal.

Guy who bought my boat never test drove it, but there was still ice on the lake. Gave him the option to wait, but said the boat wasn't sold until someone paid for it.

Last edited:

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
I have bought boats without a test drive. It's definitely not ideal but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Can you schedule it another time or is flat out saying no? There is also a 2nd red flag to me in your scenario: he dropped his price from 8,500 to 7k right away. maybe there's more to the story or maybe it's nothing but any deal where the seller immediately accepts a low offer get my wondering.

wiredgizmo

Recruit
Thanks for the advice guys. I will come check it out and follow oldjeep's advice. If everything looks good, I'll bring cash ready to purchase under contingent that I'll get a test drive. It's understandable a seller is not willing to take time going to a lake since a buyer may not be very serious.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
When a seller 'doesn't 'have the time' for it he hires a broker.

Ask yourself why the asking price is so far below book value and why he's unwilling to let you test it. Two red flags. If that isn't enough to make you walk away, do NOT be so anxious to accommodate this knucklehead. I have NEVER brought all the money along, either. The way it works is you put 10% down (refundable!) contingent on successful sea trial and inspection. Everything in writing. That shows that you're serious. If THAT still isn't enough for him, you gotta let it go. He's hiding something.

There are a million boats for sale, friend.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I have bought boats without a test drive. It's definitely not ideal but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Can you schedule it another time or is flat out saying no? There is also a 2nd red flag to me in your scenario: he dropped his price from 8,500 to 7k right away. maybe there's more to the story or maybe it's nothing but any deal where the seller immediately accepts a low offer get my wondering.

I thought the same thing.......

You wouldn't buy a car w/o test driving it? For me, it's the same deal....... Unless there is hard water like jeep said....

Let us know how it turns out.... Good luck.... :)

Last edited: