Depth sounder blinking

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an old UNIDEN depth sounder gauge, and it has been giving me some troubles lately. At speeds above about 15 knots, it will frequently fail and stop giving me accurate depth readings. The gauge will just start blinking at the last known depth. For example, If I get going at a 30 knot cruising speed, my depth sounder will start blinking and showing ~20 feet, even when I know I'm only in 5 feet of water.

What is causing this? Is the gauge itself and the processor in the dash failing? Is the sensor hanging on the transom failing? I want to get this thing working correctly without throwing too much money at it. What parts should I replace?

superbenk

Commander
Usually when it blinks like that it means it can't get a good reading. Make sure the transducer is always in clean water (no bubbles). Check that the transducer is still aligned facing straight down. Check for loose or corroded connections. Make sure you don't have growth on the transducer.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It is likely to be a loose transducer or loose connection. If it worked fine before it is probably not due to bubbles.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Strangely enough, transducers do get dirty from running in the water like boat hulls do. Clean the face of the transducer and see how it works. It will work in trolling speed mode because there is less issues sitting relatively still, but when the boat starts to move, an iffy dirty transducer will show up with problems. Just use some grease cutting detergent and wash it... Make sure you rinse it off too... Let us know what helped or fixes your problem. That way others reading with similar issue can read it as well. JMHO!

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Make sure the angle is correct. If you hit some seaweed or sticks it could have altered the angel pretty easy.