Sea water question

ericcarr2000

Ensign
I have a question regarding my sea water inlet. While launching her this weekend for the season i noticed that when I opened up the sea water valve in the bilge area that there is s white cylindrical part that is just above the valve. I'm not sure if this is the filter or not but there must be a crack in it due to it leaking when I open up the valve. Can someone clarify as to what it is called so I can replace it?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Based on your description..... No clue, BUT based on experience I would expect to find a strainer.... Post a pic so we can be sure.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
That is a common strainer,the white tall cap unscrews to clean it out.there is a ss screen in there. Might be just a o-ring gasket leaking. Remove the cover,check it out. Might not need a new one.

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The white part in the middle as well as the one furthest right are check valves, the white part furthest to the left appears to be a strainer. The purpose of the check valves in your pictured set up is to prevent a pump pulling water from the other branch. For example one side may be for a live well and the other a wash down pump, without the check valve the wash down would suck air through the live well line when the live well is not in use. This was done as a work around to avoid having several thru hull fittings below the waterline. The check valves pictured are not marine use approved and I would not advise such an installation. I would replace with brass units, if this is not feasible at the time I would create a loop for each branch rising above the waterline and locate your PVC check valves at the top of each loop. Three other precautions would be: secure the hoses so they cannot flop around in pounding seas and break a fitting, install a second hose clamp at each connection point, secure the thru-hull valve closed whenever the systems supplied are not in use.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yikes.... I say get rid of the check valves and install another seacock.

Yep strainer on the left and check valves to the right.

ericcarr2000

Ensign
Just by looking, does anyone have an idea to what size threads I need so I can go ahead and order a new part so I have it next time I go up and take her out? She's an hour away...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I may not have been clear....You NEED the strainer..... You will need to find your leak before you can know what you need to replace.

The way to get rid of the check valves is to install a second thru hull and seacock.... One for each hose...

ericcarr2000

Ensign
I know I need the strainer. I never stated that I wanted to bypass my strainer and I know where my leak is, on the side of the check valve as stated before. I was just wondering what it was called so I can just replace it.
Thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Just makin sure... Didn't wanna lead you astray...

Sooo for a quick fix, grab some female to female npt couplers in 1/2" 3/4" and 1".......

When you get to the boat either just hook the hose up at the T or use the coupler to replace the check valve.... Then you can get the stuff together for an additional thru-hull (preferred) or you will have the size for the valve you wanted to install.