Single dual prop vs twin engine

john john

Seaman
Have found info on single vs twin engine as for which is better for docking etc. how will single dual prop compare to twin single props when docking etc. looking at 28' boat with bravo3 and 30' boat with twin engine single prop. Around here there is a lot of stern in docking and currently get a little nervous backing in between expensive boats. Currently have 25' dual prop. Wandering how larger boat will handle with these different set ups. This would be in the sport oat bow rider type boats.

RGrew176

Commander
I had a 28' boat that had the Bravo III drive and the handling around the dock was very easy once I learned how to handle the dual-prop drive. Many thought I had twins the way the boat handled backing into slips. They were somewhat surprised when I told them it was a single. As good as dual-prop drives are twins are still better in most situations around the dock.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
If your talking inboards in a 30 foot boat me personally Id want twin Mercruisers but Im a Mercruiser guy since the beginning. There outdrives tend to hold up better than most and you can get parts for most of the engines fucntions for many years not always the case with other outdrives makers.

For me the advantages of working two engins 60% as hard as one big engine in this class of boat is easy to do the math on. Initial costs is higher so if your talking a brand new boat maybe one big brute might be a more affordable choice but when you talk boats that are 5 or 6 years old single engine v twins is not that much different. Ive been shoppping for a 26 to 30 foot boat for a year and have seen a lot of 5.0 and 5.7 Mercruisers priced close to one Single 8.1 Liter in the same or similar class of boat if any of that clears it up. Then you get into the security of two powerplants if you have a breakdown most likely the other engine will get you back.

If your talking outboards Im still looking for an answer there. I look at cost of new outboards v repairing one and im almost thinking i want an inboard because I personally can fix almost every part of a mercruiser with a Gm powerplant but a major failure on a high performance outboard and am probably going to buy a new one and walk away from the broken one. But i really dont like mechanical issues getting in the way of my time on the water. All these boats I look at used, have had all this work done to there outboards and it leaves me wondering if an outboard is for me.

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't think dual props add that much to twins compaired to the benefit to single.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If I had the choice betwee a single leg with dual props (VP duoprop or Mercruiser Bravo) or twin engines, I would go twin engines every time.

the dual prop drives are better than the single prop drives in a single engine application, however twins will always win hands down when it comes to ease of docking.

the only thing better is joystick controls

Plus the boat with twins is 2' longer, so you can take car of twofootitus right away.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree twins are always better then a single DP. when it comes to docking. I have a heavy cruiser with DP. That said a single engine needs less total power then a twin install to perform the same at cruse and WOT. Exp: single 400hp over twin 300hp do to reduced weight (Don't take the 400 and 300 as actual test results)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I don't think dual props add that much to twins compaired to the benefit to single.

depends what you are doing. A duo prop is still a single point of thrust. A very accurate and authoritative one, but still just one. It is very much more related to a single drive than a twin. Can't kick one drive into forward and one into reverse with a duoprop. THAT is the huge advantage you get with twins, as far as control goes.

john john

Seaman
Thanks for responses. Kinda what I thought. Looking at two different kind of boats. Family style bow rider with single inboard, or speed boat, bow rider with twins. Twins is larger boat and also older, more money of course. Like cruising speed of twins along with the better control around docks. Family style probably more practical though. Oh well, might flip a coin.