Fishy boat buying offer

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I was looking for a boat on Craigslist and got a strange reply on my inquiry. Some guy with New Jersey's phone number ( and I was looking at Arizona craigslist), told me his sister is selling a boat and she contacted me via email with the following:

Thank you for your interest in buying my boat. My 2002 Sea Doo Utopia 185. It is in perfect condition, no need for additional repairs, no scratches, dings, rust, special marks whatsoever. The interior looks great. It runs like new and all services are up to date. Also, I need to mention that it was never involved in any accidents, pets free. The engine runs nice, the transmission shits smoothly. The price is $2,200 + $300.00 shipping cost. Total price ($2,500) (non-negotiable). Because of my divorce settlement, I own this boat and I don`t need it, so I'm trying to sell it as soon as possible.

If you are interested in buying it or if you have any questions, please reply to this email.
Thank you,
Tiffany Cliff
Click here for more pics:
http://imgur.com/a/RLOMF

Year: 2002
Make: Sea Doo
Model: Utopia
Engine Type: Jet Drive
Engine Make: Mercury Engine
Type: Jet
Primary Fuel Type: Gas
Length (feet): 18.3
Beam (feet): 8
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Trailer: 2007 Trailer See Doo Included in this price $2,500 with the shipping at your address
HP: 210-hp Mercury

I checked out the price of this boats and it looks like the offer is WAY too good to be true. She also send me a message about some "Amazon" payment and shipping, which is also pretty strange since boat shipment from Nebraska costs a lot more than $300. It all looks really fishy to me.
Any ideas as to how I can check if this boat is actually selling or if it is a scam (which im almost 100 sure of)
Thx.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Use your head... Of course it's a scam..... Get over it and move on... Legit sales are done locally.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Hmmm reading that it sounds a lot meaner than I meant it.

But yeah it's a scam.... If it was legit it would have sold locally in literally under an hour.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Divorces can produce some really good deals, but this one, I would walk away from and look for something else, it never costs anything but time to keep looking and the season is still young.

thumpar

Admiral
I have seen those before and usually ask where they live. When they respond I say I live in the same area and can come pick it up. They will then come up with some reason that it can't be picked up. It is a scam.

Reactions: K-2

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Find out where the boat is and no matter where they say, tell her you have family or a friend in the area and will come check out the boat. You will never hear from them again.

southkogs

Staff member
Ask 'em for the previous registration numbers so you can run a check on it ... didn't see any, or traces of any on the boat.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
at least the scammers could research the boat enough to figure out that particular one doesn't have a transmission that shifts!

Reactions: K-2

jaymoussy

Seaman Apprentice
I had a sick Subaru for sale once (bad gas!), and some woman from 2000 miles away was pretty much giving me the same story - minus the divorce!
Did not make any sense.

There was a story on NPR not long ago where this guy joins a dating service, communicates with this girl for months, plan on visiting, etc. He ultimately found out he was corresponding with a computer generated script...!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
tell her you will give her $4000 cash when it is in your driveway, with papers, but not a penny before it is delivered.

She will respond with an offer to do it, but needs $ up front to pay for shipping.

Or, just walk away and know you are smarter than they are.

UncleWillie

Captain
No mater what you buy, you absolutely must see it run on the water for at least 30 minutes.
If you offer them a $100 non-refundable deposit up front just for the ride and they will not take it out of the driveway; No Deal!