Need advice/opinions - Winterization oversight

JPTL

Seaman
I need some feedback from the community ? boat owners and mechanics if possible.

1995 Sea Ray 230OV 7.4l
Fresh water only, no corrosion/rust/oxidization, excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition

Here's my situation:
Last summer I bought this Sea Ray from a dealer. It was a one-owner lake boat and had been fully serviced by the dealer prior to my buying it. I used it a few times on the lake here in VA. It ran like new.
In November I took it to a reputable marina for a full winterization (flush, oil change, outdrive service, fogging). I trailered the boat to the marina and left it for the winterization. The mechanic took my info. and confirmed that since I have a place on the lake, I didn?t need to store it at the marina for the winter. The mechanic gave me a call when it was done. I went to the marina, picked up the boat, trailered it back to my lake house and parked it, lowered the out drive and covered it for winter storage.
This spring when I pulled the cover and did a preliminary check before putting the boat in the water, I saw that the bilge/engine bay was full of rainwater. The engine was submerged up to the floor level. The water level came to just below the alternator. There was some water that had gotten into the crankcase, probably through the dipstick tube at the block.
I immediately checked the drain plug and saw that it was in place. It had not been removed by the mechanic.
I called him and told him the situation. He offered to take the boat back and look into the situation.
Last week I called him and he said that he?d confirmed that some water had gotten into the engine. He?d fully flushed the system and changed the oil and filter. He tested the engine and said that everything was fine. He acknowledged that the plug should have been pulled as part of winterization and said that he?d eat the cost of the oil/filter change. Even though he tested the starter and confirmed it to be working, he expressed concern about the condition of starter, as it had been submerged for at least a month over the winter.
I picked up the boat on Friday, towed it back to my lake house, put a full charge on my battery, and the starter wouldn?t kick. Nothing. No click of the solenoid?.nothing.

So here?s my question in a nutshell:
What degree of responsibility does my mechanic have for leaving the plug in?
Is removing the plug by the mechanic as part of winterization a reasonable expectation?
Should I be the one who has to take the hit of new starter replacement, or is it reasonable to expect him to replace the starter at his cost?
..or to what degree should he be responsible for the starter failure? Labor only?
I?m not sure of the degree of labor, but since this is a big block, it might require the engine to be pulled?

My family came down to the lake for a weekend of boating over Memorial Day weekend. I?m not thrilled with what happened, but I?m trying to keep my emotion out of this. I like this mechanic. Mistakes happen, and from what I can tell up to this point, he?s taken responsibility for leaving the plug in.
Everyone I've spoken to seems to have an opinion on this, but I want to be fair, unbiased and unemotional.
I want to discuss this with him and do what?s fair for him and for me.
Opinions please.
Thanks.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You don't need any opinions.... The mechanic already told you he should have pulled the plug.... Personally Indisagree w him as I think you should have but if he claimed responsibility that's the end, you win.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
As he has already admitted he made a mistake, I would think that any and all damage caused by that mistake would be covered by him.

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You may not agree but I think you should have pulled the plug. You said you took it in November. How long had the plug been in with the boat up on the trailer. I do agree the mechanic should of noticed it, but not responsible. Thank him for the free work.

Rentaltux

Seaman
If the mechanic is will to take responsibility then great but I am with the rest on this one. I think the responsibility for the plug should be on the boat owner. I don't like to rely on other people for somethings or you end up with stuff like this... My plug always comes out at the ramp and put in at the ramp. It is habit and routine for me. Sorry to here about your boat, hopefully it all gets fixed up.

R

southkogs

Staff member
Sounds like he's being up front on the gig, and that you should have checked your plug too (not accusatory, just the way it probably should have been). You like this dude, and that's nice to have.

If he offers to cover, then thank him profusely and roll with it. Otherwise, I'd see if you picked up the starter if he'd put it in for ya'. Share it, and stay in good with a guy you like.

Alumarine

Captain
There's another side as well.
Say you normally leave the plug in at all times.
He takes it out. You launch boat in spring. Boat sinks.

If you got free work I'd say you were lucky.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I went to the marina, picked up the boat, trailered it back to my lake house and parked it, lowered the out drive and covered it for winter storage.

So is the mechanic also responsible for covering the boat at your house?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I went to the marina, picked up the boat, trailered it back to my lake house and parked it, lowered the out drive and covered it for winter storage.

So is the mechanic also responsible for covering the boat at your house?
Good point. If the boat were covered properly, no water would have gotten in there. So both parties are to blame. I would go half with him on the starter.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I agree, it is due diligence to make sure your plug is pulled and if the mechanic had not already admitted his mistake and has taken action to correct his mistake, you might be out in the wind. But as, he admitted, he has taken actions and he showed concern over the starter, the ball is now in his court to do something to correct his mistake as he knew there may be problems with the starter and there is. It is kinda like an insurance company, he who sings first looses, the mechanic has set precedence that he is at fault.

In the future after having work done, make sure and double check things before storing your boat, this time I would talk to him and see what can be worked out.

UncleWillie

Captain
...this time I would talk to him and see what can be worked out.

+1.
Step #1 ... ASK him what he thinks should be done.

You missed mentioning the part where raised the trailer jack to full height to get the Bow up so any water would run out the plug.
That would have reminded you to confirm the plug was out.
Also, if you were to assume the plug was out, Where was it?
He would have handed it to you or told you it was stored somewhere in the boat.

Something is wrong with your covering system.
Northern Ohio got way more than the usual amount of snow this year.
All the water I found in the bilge this spring, was mopped up with one hand towel. <4oz.
It was likely just from condensation.

If you supply the parts, and he supplies the labor, that would be more than fair on his part.
The labor is going to be the biggest part of the bill.
Your offering to supply the parts will keep you on good terms in the future.

Next Year, Jack up the Bow and confirm that the Oil was actually changed and it has been Flushed and Drained.
Replacing a starter is very inexpensive when compared to replacing the Block!

Last edited: