I wore a hole in the carpet....

striker1211

Seaman Apprentice
So I wore a hole in the carpet from standing at the steering wheel. It is about 10 x 10 inches. I'm sure I could find the carpet somewhere and piece it in but does anyone have any suggestions for a "floor mat" that I can glue down that won't look tacky? Thanks.

UncleWillie

Captain
Instead of trying to make the patch invisible, which you will never do, make it so obvious that it looks intentional.
The SeaDeck idea is ideal. Much like the rubber mat that replaces the carpeting under the drivers feet in the automotive world.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Don't try to match it....you can't.. If you want permanent then find a suitable piece the size you need and cut out the old and glue in the new,,make it look like it was intentional as stated in previous post....something that will contrast the existing color and looks like it is supposed to be there.

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I like everyone's idea of making it look different. You could never match the old carpet, even if you had the exact copy it would not be faded like the remainder of the carpet. Go bold/stand proud.

striker1211

Seaman Apprentice
I am definitely going with a mat or different color section that goes with the color scheme. I just wish those mats weren't so expensive. I might find a car mat haha.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Whatever you decide to go with, watch for tripping hazards with the edges if it is higher then the original. JMHO!

striker1211

Seaman Apprentice
Whatever you decide to go with, watch for tripping hazards with the edges if it is higher then the original. JMHO!

Yeah, that is a big concern for me. I am trying to find one that is very very thin and cannot find it. I also find that while standing and driving my right foot is on the rising portion of the hull that meets the gunwale. This uneven surface causes me hip problems (and I'm not even 30 yet!). I am now looking into butt wedge cushions for the drivers seat. I am going to try throwable life cushions first :)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
When you are standing move toward the center of the boat.... You don't need to stand directly behind the wheel.