Not sure what I just got....lol

FirstRealBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had an old truck sitting on the property, worth maybe $600-700. Guy calls and asked if I wanted to trade for an older boat. We, sure, I like boats and this truck is just going to have a tree grow through it, why not, Right?!

I can't get a picture to upload, but this is what it says. Let me know what you all know about them if anything or where I can get information about it.

It is15 foot or so tri-hull. 68-70 beam. On one side it say's "Super Craft with what looks like an arrow going thru the logo. Super on top and Craft on the bottom. I am not familiar with tri-hull boats. Floor is fine, with some fine cracks and one soft spot. All carpet is removed.

What I am not sure about it the motor. It's an 1150 Mercury 115 HP on a 15 foot boat! Wow, that just doesn't seem right! I can't find a data plate or anything ID on the boat. It's just a boat with a running motor.

Not sure I should mess with this hull or just find a nice bass boat with no motor and just put the 115 on it.......

This should be interesting.

So anyone know anything about old Super Craft boats?

Thanks

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome to iboats

Not much info out there about Super Crafts

Might see if the dimensions of yours match any of the boats listed here.

Good luck, if you can make that 115 a runner, you didn't do too bad. If it's a tri-hull from 1967-70, w/ a soft spot on the deck, I'd suspect there is further water damage below decks.

Good luck which ever way you proceed.

Check out the FYI for posting pix:
Photo Upload Tutorial

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard FRB:

There's a little about Super Craft HERE. Not much, but gives you a feel for the company. That late 1960s through 1980 was a high point for trailer boats. EVERYBODY made 'em, and tri-hulls were popular in the early years of bow riders.

115HP might be realistic for it. I had a 15' when I was a kid that was a 100HP limit.

As far as messing with it: depends on how much you have to do to get it the way you want it. Sometimes a free boat can be an amazing deal. Sometimes a free boat and be an amazing money sponge :)

Make 2 more posts and then you can upload some pictures and we can give you some more feedback.

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welcome to iboats. honestly if you don't like the hull just haul it off man, but if you do and you've got a 100 hrs head over to the renovations section and we will point you in the right direction, a soft spot in the floor is no small deal and generally means there is more rot lurking beneath the surface.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Most complete restorations start with "a small soft spot in the floor". I would consider looking for another hull unless you really love the tri-hull.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
We had a 15' when I was a kid with same 1150 engine. It flew.

FirstRealBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Right now, I am just not sure what to do. I started the motor again today, not sure it is worth the head ache to deal with it. No tilt or Trim, 115 HP motor is heavy!

FirstRealBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Figured it out.....yea me!

Here is some pictures of the turd I was talking about. I don't see a lot of major issues, it's the nickel and dime crap that cost so much. $50 here and $100 there, adds up fast!

Attachments

• photo221574.jpg
    photo221574.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221575.jpg
    photo221575.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221576.jpg
    photo221576.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221577.jpg
    photo221577.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221578.jpg
    photo221578.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221579.jpg
    photo221579.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0

FirstRealBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, after doing some more research. Looks like I screwed up.....hate messing up and then having to figure out how to fix it.

Hull is rated for an 80-85 HP motor, it has a 115 HP on it. If I'm not mistaken that illegal? Not to mention if anything happened there would be all kinds of trouble due to an overpowered boat.

Guess I'm going to look for a newer Hull that will take 115 HP motor or sell the 115 HP and put a 60 HP on the trip-hull. I don't know, but I'm pissed at myself for not being as diligent with this as I am with most other aspects and hobbies I partake in.

southkogs

Staff member
Fast lookin' at the hull - it reminds me of some of the old Ebb Tide hulls. Based simply on that, the 115 may be a little sporty for the boat, but I wouldn't get overly worried about that part.

Trim and tilt - while nice to have power - if you're here in TN (TN numbers on the boat) won't be all that necessary. Trim may help you a little bit, but not enough to worry about and unless you're running along the edges and way down the creeks, most of our lakes are plenty deep.

Not sure what the 5th photo is of. I can't quite make it out.

Have you checked the transom for flexing?

FirstRealBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have you checked the transom for flexing?

I did, it doesn't move at all. I could literally move the boat on the trailer and no flexing or movement other than me picking up and down and left to right. Trailer was even moving and no flexing.

The fourth and fifth picture is of the transom. Whoever put this motor on seems to have done it right, but I am new to this so I could be wrong. It feels solid...lol The aluminum on the outside of transom is welded and looks nice and clean. The steal plate on the inside has some rust, but looks to be solid.

I am still torn on what to do with this thing now that I have it. Everything seemed good and okie dokie in my head, but I'm a Dysfunctional Veteran, so there are lots of things that seem okie dokie but most likely are not...just saying

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I think we crossed posts yesterday:

... I'm a Veteran ...
Thank you for your service. Yesterday woulda' been an even better day to say that.

Hull is rated for an 80-85 HP motor, it has a 115 HP on it. If I'm not mistaken that illegal? Not to mention if anything happened there would be all kinds of trouble due to an overpowered boat.
I'm not 100% sure, but I do not believe it is illegal here in TN (again, assuming you're in this state). But I'm not positive the legal aspect of being over powered - in other words be more concerned about lawyers than that law. Give the TWRA or the local sheriff a call. If there's no legal issue to worry about, then I would work with what you have.

Guess I'm going to look for a newer Hull that will take 115 HP motor or sell the 115 HP and put a 60 HP on the trip-hull. I don't know, but I'm pissed at myself for not being as diligent with this as I am with most other aspects and hobbies I partake in.
Bah! You made a trade. If that Merc is runnin' yer' at least halfway home to the value of the old truck you gave for it. Add the trailer into the mix and yer' even closer. I'm thinking you in good shape so far. With a running motor and a solid hull, I would call that a $600 boat.

What you might wanna' do, is put the plug in and float it (don't worry about driving it) and make sure it's not leaking anywhere.

FirstRealBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
(again, assuming you're in this state).

What you might wanna' do, is put the plug in and float it (don't worry about driving it) and make sure it's not leaking anywhere.

I live in Eastern TN, Johnson City/ Greenville, TN area.

I'm going to pull the trailer tires and take care of the bearing that are shot, they are making some nasty noise. Once that is done and I fix the busted trailer light, to the lake I will go. I'm still up in the air about this. I am kind of thinking that I should do a restore and just get experience with it and then move on to bigger better things after I see and feel if boat restoration is what I actually want to do. I am unemployed and going to school full-time, not like I have anything else to do beside fish!

southkogs

Staff member
Cool ... it's beautiful over there.

One step at a time. Figure out how far ya' wanna' go, and how much you wanna' spend. Draw that line in the sand and then have fun.

FirstRealBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cool ... it's beautiful over there.

One step at a time. Figure out how far ya' wanna' go, and how much you wanna' spend. Draw that line in the sand and then have fun.

Just as a side note, what would be a realistic price to draw in the sand? After all it is a 15 Super Craft, never heard of or seen one period. I don't mind spending some money on it. But $3000-$4000 is way out of the price I want to put into this boat.

I'm not sure what the price to fix fiberglass is? If the floor it rotten and I have to cut it out and then replace, what am I looking at in material cost? I have all the time in the world, so labor is cheap....lol.

Like I said, I am new to this hobby. But would like to learn more and more and maybe have a toy to take the family to the lake with in the end.

southkogs

Staff member
Spend some time looking in the restoration forum (only to see where things can go). You've already started by setting at least a $3,000.00 limit.

My boat is in pretty good shape, and was when I got it (aside from needing some cleaning). Right now, if I had to dump more than $1,500.00 into it I'd have to think twice. It would cost me between $3,500 and $5K to get something comparable (barring any unforeseen boat fairies waving their magic wand), so my line is somewhere between $1,500 and about $2,000 in repairs in one year.

Old boats are NOT like old cars. Unless you're in a very small sampling of vintage boats, you're only restoring/repairing 'cuz you wanna'. You will not increase the value of the boat enough to make up what you put into it.

FirstRealBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
southhogs,

Thanks, that is what I was wanting to know. If I can fix the soft spot in the floor and put carpet in it for under $1000, then I will be happy.

I just don't know how much fiberglass repairs cost?!