Exterior Bulk head rotted

Joey@HAT

Seaman
I have a 1968 Hatteras. The port side bulk head is bowed and rotten. It is only ply would and paint. It looks like 2 pieces of 3/4 inch ply wood. Its a large as a solid one piece oak door. Anyone have a suggestion what to replace it with. I was thinking about using the oak door and encapsulating it with Mas epoxy.

Attachments

• photo221487.jpg
    photo221487.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221488.jpg
    photo221488.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221489.jpg
    photo221489.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard. Please post pictures. Your best bet is to first read the how too stickies. Most likely you have more than a single rotted bulkhead.

I recommend exterior grade plywood laminated together with either pl, pb or title bond III. You will have to properly tab the bulkhead in place

Joey@HAT

Seaman
Sorry I don't know with this means laminated together with either pl, pb or title bond III

Joey@HAT

Seaman
This is the bulk head. it has a bow in it.
fetch

Attachments

• Bulk Head.jpg
    Bulk Head.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:

Joey@HAT

Seaman
Bottom of the BH.
fetch

Attachments

• Port side BH.jpg
    Port side BH.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1

Joey@HAT

Seaman
The port side under the ladder. That all has to be replaced.
fetch

Attachments

• Back View.jpg
    Back View.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 2

Ned L

Commander
Ahh, ... '68 Hatteras,... Nice boat that hold it's value. I would really suggest a proper repair. I would not suggest going with your idea. Any oak should white and not red oak.
Does the bulkhead run down only to the cockpit sole or does it run down through the engine room to the stringers?
I would follow the original construction technique and not try to reinvent the wheel. Two sheets of plywood epoxied together (as suggested above) is probably what you will need to do if it is really that thick. I would not thicken whatever adhesive you use as that will make it quite difficult to squeeze out the extra. You probably could use ACX plywood, but for the work involved and the value of the boat I would go with a Doug/fir marine if you are going to paint it.

Ned L

Commander
Yep, understood, I was wondering if it only goes down to the sole ( deck,... Floor) or does it extend below into the engine room. This will make a huge difference in what is involved in the repair.
The normal way to build a boat is to lay up the hull, then install the bulkheads (al the way from the bilge to the cabin top), then install the cockpit and cabin soles (decks). They are actually hung off the bulkhead.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Fun Times

Staff member
I would also suggest PM'ing a mod to move this thread to the restoration forum, you will get more help there.
Thanks Scott. Bumping this one to the top in hopes to get some of iboats restoration professionals thoughts on this one as well.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm going to agree with Ned. I think the BH will extend below the deck/floor so you should check what lies below. ;)

Ned L

Commander
Oh, .... and that 110V AC receptacle that is open in the cockpit like that, .... Not good. It should at least have cover plate on it with little spring loaded covers over each half. You really don't want to take green water over the rain and have it douse the inside with salt water.

Joey@HAT

Seaman
Exterior bulk head rotted

I have a 1968 Hatteras. The port side bulk head is bowed and rotten. It is only ply would and paint. It looks like 2 pieces of 3/4 inch ply wood. Its a large as a solid one piece oak door. Anyone have a suggestion what to replace it with. I was thinking about using the oak door and encapsulating it with Mas epoxy. I was told to move to this section because I would get more advice. Its just a plywood partian with a window. I could just us marine plywood. I'm just going to paint it. Please give me some advice.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 1968 Hatteras. The port side bulk head is bowed and rotten. It is only ply would and paint. It looks like 2 pieces of 3/4 inch ply wood. Its a large as a solid one piece oak door. Anyone have a suggestion what to replace it with. I was thinking about using the oak door and encapsulating it with Mas epoxy. I was told to move to this section because I would get more advice. Its just a plywood partian with a window. I could just us marine plywood. I'm just going to paint it. Please give me some advice.

What your thinking should work, but plywood is a real good and very strong medium. If you have a solid oak door the wood can still twist if moisture gets to it, both ply and oak are strong but ply is stronger in all directons