2000 VIP Deckliner 215 Top Speed ?

KCobra78

Cadet
Just purchased a 2000 VIP 215 with the 4.3 190 hp merc alpha one. It's the 2 bbl carb version. I had the lower end completely redone and the carb rebuild. Also the boat has smart tabs on it.....

The boat seems to run fine... However it only has a top end of 32 mph... That just seems slow to me. My old 26 ' bass tracker with a 3.0 ran 27...

Any ideas or info ?

Thank You!

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
I would think you should be high 30's. Crouch calc shows 40. What rpm is it hitting ? You could be over propped and not hitting peak HP. Are you trimming up ?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The biggest piece of info you left out is what pitch is your prop!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Should be higher than that... Deckboats usually are pretty speedy once up on plane. Very little deadrise on the back of the hull. I have a 1994 Harris floatboat that is 19' or so with a 4 barrel 4.3 spinning a 14-21 prop. That will top out at 50 on gps. (although that is NOT a comfortable speed in that boat, the hull doesn't like it much, and the motor is spinning way too fast for a 1994!)

Last edited:

KCobra78

Cadet
Sorry it took me a bit to reply. Had some family sickness to overcome.

The boat has a 19 degree prop....3 blades. The dealership replaced the prop that was on the boat with the exact same prop.

I am trimming up. I start with the foot all the way down....then when the boat is on plane... I trim up to about 3/4 trim. There are three lines on the trim gauge. One for all the way up (trailer), one for all the way down ...and a additional line at about where 3/4 would be. I trim up to just below this line....stopping just as the engine RPMs stop increasing.

Like I stated ...I had the engine lower unit rebuild/serviced and the carb rebuilt. Prior to this the boat wouldn't run out of idle. The shop said the carb was junked up. ... Since then it has run fine except for once when it backfired a couple of times and bogged down. I shut it off, checked all the levels and it ran fine for 30 min afterward.

Any help is greatly appreciated !

Thank you !!

KCobra78

Cadet
PS

Max RPM the boat hits is 3950.... That is full throttle and trimmed up on plane.

Thx again

Bondo

Staff member
PS

Max RPM the boat hits is 3950.... That is full throttle and trimmed up on plane.

Thx again

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Yer rpms are to low,.... With the 2bbl. carb, ya oughta be runnin' 4200/ 4600 rpms at Wot,....

If it's got a 19" pitch prop, try a 17",.....

KCobra78

Cadet
I sure DO NOT want to go back through the dealership for a prop change. Can you guys tell me the right 17" prop to use ? I see several online. 17x 15.5. 17x 15 17x 14.5 etc... I have a alpha one foot with the 1999/2000 4.3 190 hp mercruiser...... Any special deals I have to do to change it. Torques? Etc