Boat Manufacturer Identification Help Needed.

LonelyBoat

Recruit
Hello, I am new here; hope I'm posting correctly.
I have someone interested in buying an old boat I inherited. I have the DMV registration.
I am trying to research the boat value but can't figure out the manufacturer.

Here is what the registration says
Builder: GLASS Year: 1982
Vessel Type: RUNABOUT
The HIN id number begins with GSW

I found a link in another post in this forum to the Coast Guard site for finding the manufacturer with the HIN id number.
From that link I ended up at the Federal database.

When I put the identification letters, GSW, (the first 3 letters of the HIN) into the Federal ID database this is what I get:

ORG AMERICAN OFFSHORE
1611 Lake Arbor Texas

They are a boat manufacturer currently in business but there is nothing on their website to help me identify an old 1982 boat.

I found a list of boat manufacturers in the drop down menu on a used boats website so I am guessing it is one of these:

Glasply
Glass Sport
Glass Stream
Glassmaster
Glasspar
Glassport
Glasstream
Glastron

My head is spinning from trying to search for a 1982 Runabout (Bowrider) from all those companies

Please help? thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard LonelyBoat:

First: look for a capacity plate on the boat, probably up near the helm somewhere. See if it has the brand ID on it there.

Second: Used boat prices are a combination of condition, location and demand. One of the best ways to see what it's worth is to look at local ads for similar boats in your area.

Lastly, post a few pictures up here (the forum requires you make 3 posts before you can upload pictures). That'll help us see what it looks like. Someone might recognize it quickly.

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
An 82 runabout is and 82 runabout, the manufacture makes little difference at this point. It's really the condition of the boat.

LonelyBoat

Recruit
Thank you for your replies southkogs and cptrick3. Southkogs, I'm old school and not techy and don't know how to post photos . The boat is in pieces (hull, motor, outdrive?). It is on a single axle trailer. I could not find a name plate anywhere. The motor is all in a pile so all I could see was 3.8 2 liter 4 barrel. It is a marine engine. It was going to be his project boat. The paint looks good (couple of nicks but red is still red, not oxidixed) , fiberglass is coming off the wood floor interior. but the beams are solid. The upholstery is still in one piece but will need to be redone eventually. I have someone interested in it for a project I just have no idea what to ask for it. I'm thinking I should be grateful another MacGyver type is interested and asking about buying it? Can you guys give me a range? Would $1,000 be too much for starting negotiations? cptrick 3, so are you saying I should just look at any 18 foot "Runabout" with the open front bow of that year and compare by condition? Thank you SO much for your replies.