Glasspar of unknown year. Help.

Ourfamof6

Seaman Apprentice
Looking at buying this Glasspar, but don't know what year. Any help?

Attachments

• IMG_20150522_194135563_zpsppphtlvu.jpg~320x480.jpeg
    IMG_20150522_194135563_zpsppphtlvu.jpg~320x480.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20150522_194448120_zpszrfwrdgw.jpg~320x480.jpeg
    IMG_20150522_194448120_zpszrfwrdgw.jpg~320x480.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Does NV or WV (can't make it out) title boats? If yes, what does the sellers paperwork say?

jbcurt00

Staff member
There's NO PLACE in WV that even comes close:

:)

Since I moved from 1 to the other, I was fairly confident before blowing up that ^^^ pix, but DEFINITELY it's in NV.

Based on the style and look of it, I'd guess early 70s. It doesn't have a conforming HIN, so that indicates it's pre-72.

Ourfamof6

Seaman Apprentice
No desert in WV? Ha ha. Yes it is in NV. Guy was given boat and doesn't have paperwork. Known him for years. Just trying to find out year. And it does have a HIN plate on the outside if the transom. I think motor is early 80's.

jbcurt00

Staff member
but it isnt conforming to the post 1972 format:
Hull ID Numbers
Play the Numbers Game (What's a HIN?) Did you ever wonder what that strange series of letters and numbers on the transom of your boat are. Well, if you have taken the Nautical Know How course you know they are Hull Identification Numbers (HIN) and that they are required. But, what do they mean?
All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972 must bear a HIN. The HIN is a 12 character serial number that uniquely identifies your boat. The HIN has an important safety purpose. It enables manufacturers to clearly identify for boat owners the boats that are involved in a defect notification and recall campaign. A HIN is not the same as a State registration number, which may be required to be displayed on the bow of your boat. The HIN is a Federal requirement; your boat?s registration number is a State requirement similar to the license plate on your car. The HIN, however, is required to be shown on the State certificate of registration.
pre841.gif
pre842.gif
AUG
SEP
OCT
NOV
DEC
JAN
A
B
C
D
E
F
FEB
MAR
APR
MAY
JUN
JUL
G
H
I
J
K
L
*Key to Month of Model Year
Figure 1 - HIN Formats Before August 1, 1984
The boat manufacturer must display two identical hull identification numbers, no less than one-fourth of an inch high, on each boat hull. The primary HIN must be permanently affixed (so that it can be seen from outside the boat) to the starboard side of the transom within two inches of the top of the transom, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest. On boats without transoms or on boats on which it would be impractical to the transom, the HIN must be affixed to the starboard outboard side of the hull, aft within one foot of the stern and within two inches of the top of hull side, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest. The starboard outboard side of the hull aft is the preferred HIN location for many manufacturers. On catamarans and pontoon boats the HIN must be affixed on the aft crossbeam within one foot of the starboard hull attachment.​
aft84.gif
JAN
FEB
MAR
APR
MAY
JUN
A
B
C
D
E
F
JUL
AUG
SEP
OCT
NOV
DEC
G
H
I
J
K
L
Figure 2 - HIN Format After August 1, 1984
Boats manufactured or imported on or after August 1, 1984, also have a duplicate secondary HIN affixed somewhere on an unexposed location inside the boat or beneath a fitting or item of hardware. The purpose is to help authorities identify your boat if a thief or vandals remove or damage the primary HIN on the transom. It is illegal for anyone (manufacturer, dealer, distributor, or owner) to alter or remove a HIN without the express written authorization of the Commandant, U.S. Coast Guard.
The regulations prescribe the format of the HIN. The first three characters are a MIC (Manufacturer Identification Code) assigned by the Coast Guard to the manufacturer or the person importing the boat; characters four through eight are a serial number assigned by the manufacturer; the last four characters indicate the month and year the boat was built, and the model year. Prior to August 1, 1984, the manufacturer had the option of expressing this in the form of a model year designation.
The Coast Guard maintains a searchable database of MICs if you want to check yours out - click here.
Individuals building boats for their own use and not for the purposes of sale are what are referred to as "backyard boat builders." They must obtain a 12 character HIN from their State boating agency. The Manufacturer Identification Code at the beginning of the HIN for a "home built" boat is an abbreviation for the State followed by a "Z" which indicates that it is a State identification.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't like itty-bitty pics. Now I can see NV. LOL

Digits 12 and 13 from left to right in the HIN are the year. Nevada does need some proof of boat and trailer ownership, you may have problems.

Ourfamof6

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the info. The small plate riveted on the outside left of the transom says 11-709655. Don't know if that helps.

Ourfamof6

Seaman Apprentice
If it all goes south I may just buy for the motor. Thanks for the help.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That is not an 80's model, I am guessing between 67 and 72 based on the BIA plate, style of the boat and the non-conforming HIN, being honest with you, it looks like one of the 1968 model boats I sold a couple of months ago.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thanks for the info. The small plate riveted on the outside left of the transom says 11-709655. Don't know if that helps.

That number isn't long enough to conform to the HIN standards I posted, for pre-84 or post-84,so it's pre-1972. So unless Glasspar has records (most makers don't), that number isn't going to help much. There's also a small chance it was added by whatever state when it was sold and that 11-709655 was issued by that state. Most likely, it's a serial number.

I just got a boat and Utah issued it a 42-xyzpdq hull number (HIN). If I didn't know it was from Utah, there's no indication as to what that number means nor what state issued it, it's just a number riveted to the hull. Fortunately, the title and registration paperwork that came w/ it lists that number as it's HIN. The boat also has a serial number stamped in the transom, and because there's lots of records for it available, I can decode the serial number in much the same way a HIN is, giving me the model, year, what # it was off the line, and it's month of manufacture, even though its a made in April of 1957 boat

I've never seen anyone post details of how to decode Glasspar #'s......

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Look at the '69 brochure HERE. Not the same year boat as this one, but real similar. I'm guessing that one's a an early 70's boat.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I will say, I really like that style of hull, it is actually a pretty good looking boat, if you don't buy, let me know where it is and I will go take a look.