Adapted Inboard?

jstrow

Cadet
Has anyone ever thought about adapting an atv eninge or utv engine to be an inboard motor?

I have a 14' vhull that I imagine such an engine would be like a rocket on.

not saying I would do it, guess I was just curious if anyone has heard of this being done or if it could be.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yep plenty of people have done such things.... Generally not very impressive results...
Speed on water takes a LOT more hp than speed on land.

The atv engine won't do any better than a like size comparable boat engine and since it isn't designed to do it there can be considerable exspense and difficulty making it work properly.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Has anyone ever thought about adapting an atv eninge or utv engine to be an inboard motor?

Yep, they are called a jet ski!

As smokeonthewater mentioned, there is more to the story than pure horsepower. And if you do go down the route, start with a PWC engine and modify from there, at least a lot of the hard stuff (cooling system & marine certified components) is already done.

Bondo

Staff member
Yep, they are called a jet ski!

As smokeonthewater mentioned, there is more to the story than pure horsepower. And if you do go down the route, start with a PWC engine and modify from there, at least a lot of the hard stuff (cooling system & marine certified components) is already done.

Ayuh,..... For the sake of conversation,..... I believe that the modern high horsepower outboard motors can't be beat for Pure Horsepower,.....

Pound for pound, Pure Horsepower to weight ratio,....

Consider, a screamin' Big horsepower snowmobile motor don't weigh much, but it ain't got it's built in driveline to the prop,....

A jetski is 'bout the closest ya get, 'n they've been transplanted into 'bout every hull that'll float,....

Big outboards, now-a-days need big hulls to float 'em,.....

Back in the ole Tower of Power days, you could hang 150 hp, on some pretty tiny hulls,....
'ell, I had a 135 hp on a 1967 Glastron 14' Jet-flite, in the '80s/ '90s,..... still got the hull, 'n a 150 hp mothballed to go on it,....