Below Ski Locker

Frank Chyz

Seaman Apprentice
1988 Sea Ray Seville. Looks like a previous owner (there has been more than one) replaced the floor and the stringers. I am assuming they were recently replaced because the stringers look practically brand new when viewed through the ski locker opening. The ski locker floor (plywood with a thin fiberglass coating) and the foam below that was totally saturated. I removed everything I could through the ski locker opening and now everything is good and dry. I placed new 1x6 decking in the ski locker. Do I need to be concerned that the2 inch layer foam below it is now gone?

tpenfield

Staff member
1988 Sea Ray Seville. Looks like a previous owner (there has been more than one) replaced the floor and the stringers. I am assuming they were recently replaced because the stringers look practically brand new when viewed through the ski locker opening. The ski locker floor (plywood with a thin fiberglass coating) and the foam below that was totally saturated. I removed everything I could through the ski locker opening and now everything is good and dry. I placed new 1x6 decking in the ski locker. Do I need to be concerned that the2 inch layer foam below it is now gone?

Yes, it would be good to replace any foam that was removed. Can you post some pictures to help with our visualization?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If that boat is designed like my '88 SR Sorrento, the floor of the ski well attaches to the keel, which in turn supports the vee of the boat. I am not sure my boat had any foam in that area, but when the staple that held the keel to the floor of the ski well rusted away, the keel fell over and the vee of the hull collapsed, when I jacked the boat up to paint it. I would recommend you make sure the floor of the ski well is firmly attached to the keel, make a new pressure treated keel, and make sure the sides of the ski well are in good shape, as those sides transfer the strength of the keel to the deck of the boat and the stringers.

Frank Chyz

Seaman Apprentice
Chris1956;n9937904 I would recommend you make sure the floor of the ski well is firmly attached to the keel said:
The ski well floor is firmly attached and dry . It was only the center portion below it that was water logged, about 14 inches wide in the V of the hull. This center portion does not appear to be structural in any way. Everything above this middle section is strong and dry on both sides.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, but to borrow some lyrics from an old song...the hull is connected to the keel. The keel is connected to the ski well floor. The ski well floor is connected to the ski well sides. The ski well sides are connected to the boat deck and stringers.

The original keel was a piece of 3/4" plywood, on it's edge, scribed to match the hull vee. It was no more than 3 1/2 inches high, so it had little strength, without the ski well floor to support it.

Frank Chyz

Seaman Apprentice
That 3/4" plywood keel is still intact, undisturbed, below a layer of plastic that forms the flat bottom of the ski well. What I removed was the flat thin layer of fiberglass and plywood above this layer of plastic, never got close to the vee in the keel. I'll take some photos next week and post them. Thanks for responding, it's appreciated.
Frank