boat financing

boatman37

Lieutenant
anyone here have any experience with lightstream? its part of suntrust. they are about 5.5-7.5%. that is the best i have found. most are over 9%. essex,and goodsam are about 9.5%. not far off of my credit union.

thanks

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
How about home equity credit line? My home equity credit line is at 2%.

thumpar

Admiral
Those seem pretty high. I got 4% but it would have been 3% if the boat wasn't over 10 years old.

boatman37

Lieutenant
hmmmm. may have to look at a different credit union. the lady i spoke with had no idea about boat loans. even on new boats she said it was over 9%. don't want HELOC. i re-fied a few years ago at about 2.5% or so. my goal is to pay that off ASAP. don't want any more tacked onto that.

keep the ideas coming. still looking hard at lightstream though. haven't found anything under 9% anywhere else

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yes, dumb to use your house for purchasing a boat. Never jeopardize your home to purchase a luxury item that depreciates like a boat. In fact, don't finance luxury items in the first place!

Last edited:

roffey

Commander
I agree, I waited for years to buy my boat. I wanted to wait until I could afford to go boating any time I wanted. To see my boat in the driveway with an empty tank of gas on a sunny day would kill me. I fill it up every time so it sits with a full tank and all I have to do is turn the key and go.

boatman37

Lieutenant
thanks for the advice but not much of a choice. i either get a boat this summer or i likely will never be able to (long story). or at least not for another 10 years or so. by then i will be too old to enjoy it

roffey

Commander
I was not being critical and apologise if it sounded that way. In my case I had a house to pay off with kids in school, bla bla bla, the story goes on, LOL. For sure buy your boat now and enjoy it. If you have kids your building memories and fun on the water in the summer time, does it get any better.

thumpar

Admiral
I was not being critical and apologise if it sounded that way. In my case I had a house to pay off with kids in school, bla bla bla, the story goes on, LOL. For sure buy your boat now and enjoy it. If you have kids your building memories and fun on the water in the summer time, does it get any better.
Nope!!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
4-4.5% is a normal interest on boats at credit unions. They have a higher than normal incidence of problem loans, and losses are relatively high on repossessions. And long term financing on boats (and RV's) add to the problem. Unfortunately, all us good paying customers have to pay for the sins of others.

If you have good credit (FICO) and the C/U won't come down to something reasonable, go join another credit union with better rates.

thumpar

Admiral
4-4.5% is a normal interest on boats at credit unions. They have a higher than normal incidence of problem loans, and losses are relatively high on repossessions. And long term financing on boats (and RV's) add to the problem. Unfortunately, all us good paying customers have to pay for the sins of others.

If you have good credit (FICO) and the C/U won't come down to something reasonable, go join another credit union with better rates.
Maybe it depends on the area. I could get 2.99% on a new boat.

boatman37

Lieutenant
called the CU again. ran my credit and my score is about 730-740. not great but not bad. i called today and didn't give them my name or anything so they had no idea who i was. on a 15 year old boat interest is 13.5%. on a 2013 it is 12.5%. on a brand new one it is 11.5%. and the longest they will go is 72 months. time to look elsewhere

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Why would you want to go longer than 72 months? I wouldn't even go that far.

thumpar

Admiral
called the CU again. ran my credit and my score is about 730-740. not great but not bad. i called today and didn't give them my name or anything so they had no idea who i was. on a 15 year old boat interest is 13.5%. on a 2013 it is 12.5%. on a brand new one it is 11.5%. and the longest they will go is 72 months. time to look elsewhere
That is crazy. Where do you live? 2.99% is common for a boat or RV around here. Your credit is pretty good.

boatman37

Lieutenant
looked at a different CU and it advertises about 4%. must just be mine not wanting to get involved with boats?

WIMUSKY

Staff member

The reason the rates are so high is because you gave them no info about yourself. They errored on the high side. Call them back and give them all the info they need and see what numbers they come back with. Then you'll have an accurate rate. It's like asking how much your car is worth on a trade-in w/o the dealer seeing it. They would give you a low value......

When you called and didn't tell them who you were, I'm assuming you gave them your credit score, they may have still errored on the high side because anyone can call and give them any score they feel like......

Last edited:

boatman37

Lieutenant
i didn't give them anything when i called. but i did get approved through lightstream at 5.4%