Black vs Blue rub rail insert?

striker1211

Seaman Apprentice
So last summer a friend of mine ran the boat into a dock because the brakes failed and damaged a 13 inch section of the plastic/vinyl rub rail. It fell in the water never to be found. I contacted Taco and Barbour and they don't make blue anymore. Sea Ray themselves said they don't use it because it fades.

Since I could not find the blue rub rail insert anywhere I ordered the black Taco insert on eBay for $94 shipped for 50 feet. The blue has faded into a nasty ear-wax looking blue on the top but I am debating as to whether I should just re-install the blue rub rail and put a black 13 inch section under the swim ladder. You cannot see the fading from a few feet.

All costs being equal, have you ever had a blue or black vinyl rub rail insert, and what are your thoughts? Right now I am torn between the cosmetics and the practicality. Black will always be available, blue will be harder and harder to get.

Thanks for any replies.

Attachments

• photo221331.jpg
    photo221331.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221332.jpg
    photo221332.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0

UncleWillie

Captain
I like color coordination.
Blue to match the Hull, with the Black repair section hidden under the swim platform, makes sense to me.

I recently bought a boat from bayliner. I took the option of the White hull with Blue trim. The standard basic boat comes with Black trim.
Black boats do not look classy in my eyes, Unless you like the Pirate look!
When you order a colored Hull it automatically comes with a Black Bimini. No Color option, Black Only! I could not even get them to delete the Bimini or even just include it unmounted, so I could sell it to someone else.
So, A blue boat with a Black Bimini was what was delivered.
The previous model years identical boat was available with a Blue Bimini, so I immediately ordered a set of replacement canvas in the Blue color.
I now have a Blue Boat topped with Blue Canvas as it should have been been.
The Black canvas has never been used.

Go with the look that makes you happy!
If you ever find some Blue Rub Rail, let me know. We could order 100 feet and split it. Mine is Black.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I wish I knew why rub rail insert is so expensive to begin with. You would think it was made from some precious metal or something...

striker1211

Seaman Apprentice
I wish I knew why rub rail insert is so expensive to begin with. You would think it was made from some precious metal or something...

It's not the worst thing I've seen for boats. The screw cover foam that goes under the windshield is $30 for like 10 feet from Taylor Made. I still haven't gotten around to installing the black but I will post pictures when done. I went with the black because when I took the blue off it was so brittle it cracked so I am assuming it wouldn't offer much bump protection and send every shock to the fiberglass. Plus I am going to try and sell my old blue rub rail on eBay for anyone who HAS to have the blue and only needs a few feet..... so people in my situation haha....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I kinda like the black rail better than the blue . Nice job on the install . I used black rope as a cheaper alternative to the vinyl inserts .
Here is how I installed it on a my old tub if anyone is interested ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faWHJk33Tn4
So far so good still holding strong ..

striker1211

Seaman Apprentice
Wow that tightly braided rope looks really good. I kept picturing course hemp-ish rope like a sail boat when people suggested it.... kinda wish I would have looked for blue rope now.... doh.