1995 Chris Craft Concept

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am in the process of purchasing a 1995 18" Concept with a 4.3 OMC. Boat was in storage for about 15 years and motor has 250 hours on it. Always been stored inside and it shows. Owner waiting on new thermostat and we'll be ready for a test ride. Anything I should be on the look our for or be aware of going into this? I've always owned boats with outboards so this will be my first I/O. Does anybody know if this model is all fiberglass construction or is there wood in transom, stringers and floor?

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
I owned a 1991 228 Concept. Look out for that OMC setup. OMC has been out of business for a long time. It's not so much that you can't get parts but that it's difficult to find someone to work on them who knows what they're doing. Take a look at the link and make sure you give it a good read before committing to owning an OMC.

I doubt it was an all glass construction...I know my '91 wasn't. At this point in its life it's all about the care and feeding the boat has received in the last 21 years. Proceed with caution.

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, I've heard mixed opinions on the OMC vs. Mercruiser. I was told that the OMC is essentially a 4.3 Chevy FWIW.I would prefer the Mercruiser but am willing to give this one a go. The boat has 250 hours on it, basically sat in storage for 14 years prior to the current owner purchasing it from family member about 6 years ago. He has replaced impellers, water pump, hoses, belt, plugs, oil. New tires and wheel bearings on trailer, new battery and bimini top, new stereo and speakers all last season. I'm pretty confident in the boat and trailer, its the motor and outdrive I'm not all that familiar with. Asking $6K. And yes, I am new to this forum so I will dive into the section on OMC and give a good read.

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
That year of OMC is a joint venture model with Volvo. Best to find out the full model number of it to be sure what you are getting into. It may be the one that is essentially what later became the Volvo SX, not all that bad to have. Regarding the 4.3l engine, MerCruiser and Volvo andf OMC all used GM engines and just had different fitment for intake and exhaust and cooling and ignition, and outdrive coupling.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Alaboat:

Issue isn't likely gonna' be the engine as much as it is the stern drive. OMC went belly up better'n a decade ago, and some parts have become more difficult to deal with. Going through the late 80s & 90s there was a mixed bag of pretty OK drives and not-so-OK drives. I've got one of OMCs oldest and most scoffed at drives, and I kinda' like it. At the same time, there are some things about them that are VERY inconvenient.

Know what you're gettin' into before you buy it and you should be okay with realistic expectations.

Look the hull over carefully. Neglect can kill a boat hull quick.

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Outdrive and motor both have OMC Cobra identification. Motor is OMC Cobra 4.3 GL if that helps. Guess more info would be available from serial numbers?

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
My understanding is that the OMC Cobra is what later became the Volvo SX drive and parts for it can be purchased through any Volvo dealer. I think it is the OMC King Cobra drive that you want to run away from. The keyhole in the transom is identical to a MerCruiser BTW so a conversion/re-power is somewhat simple with a donor boat.. But I doubt your buying it with plans to do that.

southkogs

Staff member
^^^ sumptin' like that. I don't know enough about Cobras. There's a couple guys who know much better.

Serial / Model numbers would help for sure.

Bondo

Staff member
Outdrive and motor both have OMC Cobra identification. Motor is OMC Cobra 4.3 GL if that helps. Guess more info would be available from serial numbers?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Aside from the OMC drive, has it got the 1 piece exhaust manifolds,..??

Regardless the number of hours, or where it ran those hours,....
Get Rid of those manifolds, 'n convert it to regular center riser manifolds,....

I've seen Alota 4.3ls die from those manifolds, Just Suddenly dumpin' water into the cylinders,.....

The 1 piece manifolds were a Great Idea, badly executed,....... Real motor Killers,....

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Was gonna go for test ride tomorrow but owner is still trying to resolve overheating issue. Replaced impellers, water pump and thermostat and still overheating. Headed to the mechanic tomorrow.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I gotta tell you, this overheating issue would scare me. For $6K I think you could find another boat to look at that has a 4.3 and is in ok condition.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The ONLY way I would own an 86-92 OMC cobra is if I got it for stupid cheap.... not just king cobra but cobra

they are NOT the same as volvo's though they CAN be converted....

http://www.***********************/conversionkits.html

...................m a r i n e p a r t s e x p r e s s

http://www.sterndrive.cc/product/Fit...rsion-Kit.html

93 up is a volvo sx tho I am still a mercruiser fan I would be far less resistant to the sx than the earlier units.

OMC history lesson
http://www.glmmarine.com/30yearsomc.html

Last edited:

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, this one is gonna be iffy depending on the diagnosis. Thanks for all the help so far and the great links for more info.

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So picked up the boat today. Overheating was due to bad thermostat which in turn caused overheating and impeller to break down. Everything back together and ran for several hours with no problems. Temp was about 155. There were 6 of us in the boat with 3/4 tank of gas and 35 was top speed running about 4000 RPM. Seemed a little low to me. Oh, and he did mention that it was a King Cobra outdrive. Is that a bad thing?

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As far as the hull, I have a 96 and its foam filled stringers and wood in the transom. 96 came with a Volvo sx.

NYBo

Admiral
No Title

Oh, and he did mention that it was a King Cobra outdrive. Is that a bad thing?
Yes, it would be a bad thing if true. However, I don't think I've heard of a King Cobra attached to anything but a big block V8. However, it is easy to tell the two drives apart as they look different. Here's what a King Cobra looks like:

Attachments

• photo221520.jpg
    photo221520.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, it would be a bad thing if true. However, I don't think I've heard of a King Cobra attached to anything but a big block V8. However, it is easy to tell the two drives apart as they look different. Here's what a King Cobra looks like:

Mine is not marked like this one so probably not King Cobra. The more I learn about this boat, the less I think the previous owner knew about it. Nearly impossible to get it started with the instructions he gave me. I was told that the button on the center of shift lever was a choke button and to depress it several times to get it started. I thought it was weird that there was no high idle lever. After a bad attempt to get it started at the launch yesterday, I came back home and did my own research and found out that the button is not a choke after all but allows higher rev speed to assist with starting by disengaging the shift feature.